Neil

Should I get a Wacom Tablet?

I really have always like the idea of using a tablet. I have never used one before. Is it worth buying one? I don't really do a lot of graphics, but I would like to do some basic stuff like use Inkwell recognize my handwriting, sign documents, control the mouse with it, etc.

I think I want to get the Wacom Graphire4 6x8 Pen Tablet Bluetooth version. Does anyone else have a bluetooth tablet? Is there any lag? Is the Graphire Bluetooth as advanced as the Graphire4 line? Should I wait for a new model.I see that it was released on 4/15/05, that seems a somewhat old, should I wait for a new model?. Amazon has it for $207, that seems somewhat reasonable, for a reputable source.

I really like the Wacom Bamboo, but the writing area seems small on that. And it isn't sold in the US yet, and it isn't bluetooth.

Edited by Neil

i dont have the answer to all your questions but my friend recently bought a lower class Wacom Graphics Tablet and as usual it may take a while to get used to.. but i've seen some of his art and its preeeety good.

But... since you arent such a graphical user i wouldnt suggest spending so much money on it... but hey.. thats my opinion..

i think thats all the input i can make.. hope it helps!

Art / design isn't the only reason to use a tablet. They're handy for many things.

I have the Intuos 3 and it's a great tablet. It's big but not too big. It has the pen, a BT mouse and it has some nifty buttons on the sides that can be programmed for many tasks / key commands or for scrolling -- nice to have when surfing or reading a long document.

Personally, I find the small tablets to be a pain. You may not. If possible you should try to demo one at a store or better, if you know someone who has one. I hated the first one I bought because of the small size.

Finally, no, there is no lag. You can adjust the sensitivity to boot.

I have used many sizes and makes but the one regret I have is not trying before buying, its a totally different way of navigating and many ppl that that buy them end up moth balling/selling them a few days after.

The best and of course the most expensive are the screen tablets, I use a Fujitsu Siemens 4210 (Wacom enabled) Tablet for my art.

If you do go with the stand alone tablet give it a chance and once the "eye to hand co-ordination" kicks in you will be creating masterpieces in no time ;-)

Edited by zionlion

I got one as a "Bonus" from my boss who didn't use his, and although I will use it on occasion, it it mostly a novelty item if you're not too much a graphic artist. If you have a palm pilot or other PDA you can probably get by with that for signing things etc. Inkwell is neat to play around with, but I could never control my computer that way, much like how most of us probably could never spend the day controlling ours Macs with Voice Command.

My 2 cents.

I bought a A4 Wacom, it was cool for the first day. However as I am not a graphics person and bought it cause 'I just had to have it', it doesnt get used much now.

Save the cash for your iPhone :)

Alan.

B)

Listen to the section "Drawing tablets for the Mac" in show 201 - 2007.09.28 - one which, sadly but quite understandably, is in MP3 format only and so doesn't have chapters.