Sign in to follow this  
Bob Dylan Forever

entering password when iTunes opens?

For some reason, after i installed the iTunes 7.2 (iTunes Plus) update, iTunes propmts me to enter my iTunes store password when the program opens. It says its doing this to "check" and see if i have any purchased (but not fully downloaded) items that need to finish downloading.

I dont like doing this everytime i open iTunes. Any help?

Thanks!

My iTunes prompts me to unlock the Keychain when I launch it (I have my Keychain lock itself after 30 minutes idle, so it's usually locked.) It's done that for some time, pre-dating iTunes 7.2. If you don't have your iTunes Store password saved in your Keychain, I suppose it would ask for the password itself.

I believe that's associated with the option (under iTunes Preferences / Store) to "Automatically check for prepurchased content". In my case, that got set when I bought a Subscription to some ongoing TV shows, so iTunes would automatically fetch the new episode shortly after it was available on iTunes. If I uncheck that box, I am no longer asked to unlock my Keychain on iTunes launch.

Edited by car1son

My iTunes prompts me to unlock the Keychain when I launch it (I have my Keychain lock itself after 30 minutes idle, so it's usually locked.) It's done that for some time, pre-dating iTunes 7.2. If you don't have your iTunes Store password saved in your Keychain, I suppose it would ask for the password itself.

I believe that's associated with the option (under iTunes Preferences / Store) to "Automatically check for prepurchased content". In my case, that got set when I bought a Subscription to some ongoing TV shows, so iTunes would automatically fetch the new episode shortly after it was available on iTunes. If I uncheck that box, I am no longer asked to unlock my Keychain on iTunes launch.

I had the same issue and found some posts on the Apple Discussions helpful. Here is one, from Deggie:

"An update to your method: There is one file under downloads, list.plist. Leave the Downloads folder in place but remove this file (which was last updated on my computer on June 1st when I last downloaded files while the system was choppy) and then restart iTunes."

Check some of the threads there for more information.

I had the same issue and found some posts on the Apple Discussions helpful.

Sorry, I must have stated that poorly.

I don't have an "issue." My iTunes behaves quite sensibly. I have subscriptions to iTunes Store TV shows, and I have iTunes set to download them automatically when new episodes are available. It needs my iTunes Store password to access my account to do that. (If I don't want it to ask for my password, I turn off the option.)

I'd be surprised if my iTunes behaved any other way.

To start, I just looked in my iTunes preferences and I do not have the "automatically check for pre-purchased content" checked, so that probably isn't my problem. But thanks for the ideas! Ill look to the discussion threads next.