Lucas

internet problems on imac g3

hey guys, i really hope you can help.

a friend of mine has just been given a lime coloured g3 imac: 333mhz, 64Mb Ram, 6 Gb HD and 6Mb video ram.

he is trying to get it onto the internet for his daughter to use, and has plugged it into his linksys router via ethernet cable. the machine is currently running OS 9.2.2.

When IE 5 is launced it says there is an error connecting to the server. i don't know much about networking but i think he is connecting with DCHP. any ideas on what is wrong?

many thanks

hey guys, i really hope you can help.

a friend of mine has just been given a lime coloured g3 imac: 333mhz, 64Mb Ram, 6 Gb HD and 6Mb video ram.

he is trying to get it onto the internet for his daughter to use, and has plugged it into his linksys router via ethernet cable. the machine is currently running OS 9.2.2.

When IE 5 is launced it says there is an error connecting to the server. i don't know much about networking but i think he is connecting with DCHP. any ideas on what is wrong?

many thanks

Tough to say with limited information.

One, upgrade the RAM, HD, and upgrade to OS X and he and his daughter would be much happier, but that is the subject of another post.

OS 9.... hmm... it's been a while.... Here is a list of random thoughts that might strike the target:

Is he (actually) getting his IP address from the router or is it being self-assigned? A clue is the number range. If it is self-assigned the IP address will start with 169 (I believe). Otherwise, the IP address will be very similar to the other working machines connected to that router. IF it is self-assigned that means there is a network connection but it isn't getting an IP from the router. Of course, if it is self-assigned, there is no way IE could connect.

Can you see other machines on the network? If so networking is working...

I don't think it would have anything to do with drivers as DHCP is a standard protocol that should work without additional software in OS 9.

What else can you tell us?

It's been so long since I booted into OS 9 that I don't really remember much. Jroller was right that 169 is a self-assigned IP. What you want is something that start with 192.168.X.X or 10.0.X.X. DHCP should also be correct. If you still can't figure it out I'll get back into OS 9 and see if I can't remind myself how to help.

-Tom

thanks for the responses guys. i'll try and get round to his house this week and have a look. cheers

right, i managed to get round to my neighbour's house this evening. by looking at the TCP/IP page i can tell you this:

Connect via: ethernet

Configure: Using DHCP server

DHCP client id: ? not sure what should go here

IP address: 192.168.1.101

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

router address: 192.168.1.1

name server address: 193.36.79.100

i thought that the best thing to be would be to get OSX on there but i'm not sure how much they want to spend. i've done a little research and this is what i think it would need:

i was thinking 2 x 256MB SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64, will the imac take this much ram? i can get this ram for about £50. i've read that only one slot is accessible to users. would the 256 + 64 mb of ram be enough for os x?

a larger hard drive, don't think it needs to be any larger than about 80 gb, its only going to be used primarily for web stuff. not sure what type of drive to get, would i be able to install this myself?

finally what would be the best version of OSX to install?

many thanks guys, i really appreciate your help on this.

i was thinking 2 x 256MB SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64, will the imac take this much ram? i can get this ram for about £50. i've read that only one slot is accessible to users. would the 256 + 64 mb of ram be enough for os x?

I'm pretty sure that is the wrong RAM. I've just bought 3 of those old iMacs (233, 266 and 333 MHz), all with 160 MByte RAM; I'm not completely sure, but that is as much as they'll take, there is only one memory slot beside the 32 MByte that is soldered in. With 160 MByte of RAM, it is easy to install Panther, runs quite well, surfing and listening to music works well, video (like flash) is a bit too much.

You can install a standard harddrive, but if it it's larger than 8 GByte you have to partition, the primary partition may not be larger than that. I wouldn't bother if I were you, 6 GByte should be plenty for non video applications. I was pleasantly surprised by how usefull these 9 year old Macs turned out to be (they were very cheap, 10-50 euro), and they feature 10/100 Mbit Ethernet, but no DVD or FireWire, and USB 1.1; if you want to transfer data use Ethernet.

Memory upgrade is a bit tricky, you have to disassemble the iMac; but there are good tutorials on the Web.

Edited by Maurice

On the settings in OS9, I think you have to provide the correct nameserver in the TCP/IP settings, OS9 will not detect it.

On the settings in OS9, I think you have to provide the correct nameserver in the TCP/IP settings, OS9 will not detect it.

Put in the same address for the nameserver as the router's address. All routers I've dealt with will deal with will allow you to do this. I've found it more reliable than typing in your actual DNS server provided by the ISP since some routers choke when you do this.

I wish I had my old G4 tower set up so I could boot OS 9 for you.

-Tom

I'm pretty sure that is the wrong RAM. I've just bought 3 of those old iMacs (233, 266 and 333 MHz), all with 160 MByte RAM; I'm not completely sure, but that is as much as they'll take, there is only one memory slot beside the 32 MByte that is soldered in. With 160 MByte of RAM, it is easy to install Panther, runs quite well, surfing and listening to music works well, video (like flash) is a bit too much.

Memory upgrade is a bit tricky, you have to disassemble the iMac; but there are good tutorials on the Web.

In fact they will take more RAM. They have two RAM slots - 1 easily accessible, the other not so easy, but possible. It comes with the 32MB in the not so easy slot, so you can add an extra 256MB in the easily accessible slot. (Originally there was a limitation on how much they could take, but with newer and faster RAM, they are able to take more).

Yeah Panther is probably the optimum OS to run on them - it can be a bit of a hassle trying to get Tiger on them - although Jaguar ran fairly sweet too.