Mac-User

Mac OS X Leopard!

Hey MacFans!

Lol, i think i have now become eccentric but everyone has to check out the new revamped Apple site, but also the new Leopard page: www.apple.com/macosx/leopard :D:D

I guess we can now say that Apple has scrapped the Brushed Metal look and have gone for a gradient look :D

Now i soooo cant wait for its release.

Happy days to all :D:D

Edited by Mac-User

Lots of cool yummyness but perhaps not as exciting as I thought, "Stacks" looks useful, and the new desktop features "Glass" Ooops thats a windows thing ;-) Transparency for the menu/dock.

Has anyone downloaded Safari 3.0 Beta? Im using it now, seems ok.

Hope to see more though

Lots of cool yummyness but perhaps not as exciting as I thought, "Stacks" looks useful, and the new desktop features "Glass" Ooops thats a windows thing ;-) Transparency for the menu/dock.

Has anyone downloaded Safari 3.0 Beta? Im using it now, seems ok.

Hope to see more though

Running it too. Cant seem to make the windows close without quiting the program. Anyone else with this problem?

Running it too. Cant seem to make the windows close without quiting the program. Anyone else with this problem?

WTF Safari on Windows! Why? Im a little pissed at this, perhaps development should have been more focused on 10.5?

yes you are correct and this is very odd, its beta I guess ;-)

hmmm cant relate to your problem as all my windows and tabs close perfectly...

and i agree with you zionlion... being released into windows was a mistake.. however it could allow people to find out about how great mac apps are?

btw... in the website there were A LOT of things that i can point out.. however i need a place to do.. i.e blogs... any recommendations?

Hmm, I know im in the minority, but I like brushed metal, but the new ui isnt bad.

Not sure I like what they did to Finder, aside from a few tweaks Id make, I like finder, simple, but still flexible and powerful (especially when combined wiht Automator and OnMyCommand.) I hope its at least more customizable then the current Finder.

The Transparent menu bar I could go either way on. I like the Dock effect, but dont really care about the Stacks, since its just basically a graphical enhancement to just putting a folder on the Dock and I never do that anyway.

Dont like Spaces as much as DesktopManager, unless there's an option for a pager on the menu bar, I dont want each space taking up room on my Dock, its quite full already.

As far as Time Machine, luckily it looks like it can be disabled easily enough, was kinda worried about that.

hmmm cant relate to your problem as all my windows and tabs close perfectly...

and i agree with you zionlion... being released into windows was a mistake.. however it could allow people to find out about how great mac apps are?

btw... in the website there were A LOT of things that i can point out.. however i need a place to do.. i.e blogs... any recommendations?

If you click on the red button "Hide" to left corner it closes the App not Hides it?

Not sure what you mean with the blogg thingie but if its a good blogg site then try tumblr

tumblr seems OK.. might give it a shot.

oh and the red button does close the window but not quit the program if that makes sense. everything seems to be exactly like 2.0 apart from the new features.

btw.. i cant see the lighting fast speed that they are talking about.. maybe a slight enhancement but thats about it :S

If you click on the red button "Hide" to left corner it closes the App not Hides it?

Not sure what you mean with the blogg thingie but if its a good blogg site then try tumblr

So if you click on the red "close" button is does what it should? I don't get it the red button closes the window but not the app and is not a hide button at all. Maybe I am just having a hard time following what you are talking about but that seems like the way it is supposed to work.

As far as Safari the one reason I am happy it was released for windows is that it should mean web sites will have an even greater reason to make sure their site will work with safari.

I never looked at it like that.. its always nice to have your input josh!

and i couldn't quite follow the hole close/hide/red button madness (no offense)

However, i hope that Leopard lives up to its expectations... i'm all hyped up and would hate to be let down...

I never looked at it like that.. its always nice to have your input josh!

and i couldn't quite follow the hole close/hide/red button madness (no offense)

However, i hope that Leopard lives up to its expectations... i'm all hyped up and would hate to be let down...

I hadn't actually watched the demos until just a sec ago. Damn I am excited. I don't really care about spaces but timemachine coupled with the airport base station and a big hard drive is really the backup solution I have been trying to hobble together for years. It's automatic, wireless, and complete. Also after seeing what the stacks can really do I have to say I am much more sold. For me though the greatest thing I saw was coverflow in the finder. As a designer I often look at lots of images in a folder to pick one. Right now I usually use bridge for that but now I will be able to do it right in the finder. Awesome. I am still not sold on the new dock look or the transparent menu bar but whatever, it's not going to hurt anything. It's funny though everything is greared towards having a clean looking desktop but everyone I know has ridiculously cluttered desktops and crazy docks. I keep both very clean and it's not hard now I doubt that making it easier will have any effect on the masses of people.

I hadn't actually watched the demos until just a sec ago. Damn I am excited. I don't really care about spaces but timemachine coupled with the airport base station and a big hard drive is really the backup solution I have been trying to hobble together for years. It's automatic, wireless, and complete. Also after seeing what the stacks can really do I have to say I am much more sold. For me though the greatest thing I saw was coverflow in the finder. As a designer I often look at lots of images in a folder to pick one. Right now I usually use bridge for that but now I will be able to do it right in the finder. Awesome. I am still not sold on the new dock look or the transparent menu bar but whatever, it's not going to hurt anything. It's funny though everything is greared towards having a clean looking desktop but everyone I know has ridiculously cluttered desktops and crazy docks. I keep both very clean and it's not hard now I doubt that making it easier will have any effect on the masses of people.

again, i definitely agree with you. except that i am very keen on the new dock and middle-ish on the transparency aspect.

i am making a blog site.. when it's done i'll let you know.. i'm just highlighting the new features :D lol

WTF Safari on Windows! Why? Im a little pissed at this, perhaps development should have been more focused on 10.5?

I was ... curious about this too. But it's not really about Safari per se, its about giving windows developers experience with Safari to make it easier to develop for the iPhone.

In that context it makes perfect sense. increasing Safari market share is a minor concern over all.

64 all the way. So it will rund on my G5 iMac beautifuly! and the G5 will finally be used to its fullest. Nice!

Safari is fine and my choice of browser but if I'm showing anyone my Macs the last thing I'll show them is Safari... it's a browser like Firefox isn't it ;-)

Just to put my two cents in about the whole windows Safari thing. I am running Windows and have wanted it to become more Mac like until I get my Macbook this August. Also another thing about he motives of Apple in making this is from what I heard from Mac Break Weekly. They said that they heard someone say that google pays them for searches in

The WWDC keynote was too much marketing fluff. Give me the under the hood details and cut out the BS.

Anyone hear what the minimum system requirements will be for Leopard? I'm running a Powerbook 12" G4 867 and wonder if it is fast enough.

Well Apple, when they made leopard showed that it was resource efficient not resource hungry. So i think that you might be able to run it. But it will be quite sluggish. Then again i may be wrong in saying so since i dont exactly know what leopard will be like.

Its a developer conference so why didnt we hear anything about ZFS or resolution independence??

Its a developer conference so why didnt we hear anything about ZFS or resolution independence??

I guess they want to show the 'sexy' stuff and not get it bogged down in the technicalities - that's what all the workshops are for and the keynote is for headline stuff that might mean something to the average joe

how can you check whether your Mac supports 64 bit apps?

If you have a G5 or a Core 2 Duo / Xeon processor you have 64 bit. If you have a G4 or a plain Core Duo / Solo then you have a 32 bit processor, but Leopard will run fine on 32 and 64 bit processors as will all the apps. They'll just run slower when they're memory intensive.

Edited by Graham