Sign in to follow this  
maschinsky

Synchronize! Pro X

Hi, all!

I splashed out $99.- for a piece of software called "Synchronize! Pro X". I have now used it for a week or so and just wanted to let you guys know my experience with it. This ist not a full-fledged Test!

The Problem: I want to take a couple of files with me on the road, because I am out quite a bit. My trusty MacBook is always with me. As a professional video-editor it comes in handy to have my complete music library with me. Also in hotels and on the plane I like to work on my various homepages or sift through my photos. Also there is a lot of other stuff that I want to keep handy.

As soon as I'm home on the other hand I prefer to work on my MacPro Setup with two 24" TFTs, which is obviously much more comfortable. I store all of my data on that MacPro in a mirrored Raid on two 500gig drives in bay 3&4.

Having two iTunes and iPhoto libraries and keeping them in sync manually sucks. Also copying files back an forth between the two machines manually is a pain. And another dowside of this is cluttering the internal HDD of the MacBook with "Archive"-Type files is a problem when using it for editing.

The solution: I bought a LaCie "rugged" 120GB external harddisc - an USB 2.0, FW400 and FW800(!) interface powered small harddrive that is shock resistant and very portable. I recommend this device to anyone looking for a external drive. It is fast, reliable and well... rugged - the perfect companion for a notebook.

With synchronize! Pro X I defined what folders from my raid should get syced to what files on the LaCie drive. You can set up these sync-jobs in a way that syncing starts when the drive is mounted. It's a bit like with the ipod: plug it in and sync.

Synchronize has dozens of options when a specific sync jobs should start, what happens after sync an so on. It even can mount network drives, if they're not there when for example a scheduled backup takes place.

So I now have all my data on the Lacie and can sync it back and forth and had no trouble so far.

So SynchronizeXPro is worth every penny for me. Check it out, if you want to sync two folders between....anything.

How is different/better/worse than chronosynce?

I don't know chronosynce's feature list. I just know Synchronize Pro works excellent and I have not yet uncovered it's full potential.

I'm interested to see what makes it worth over three times what chronosync costs...