Craig

Color me unimpressed.

So Leopard looks really cool, but it's still 4 1/2 months away (face it, with Apple an October release means the end of October). So what do we get out of Jobs' keynote?

- Fullscreen iPods? No.

- New iMacs? No.

- Mac Mini updates? No.

- iLife '07/'08? No.

- A confirmation of what we already knew about the iPhone? Yes.

As a long-time (1984) Mac user, this keynote was the first one in a long time that left me unimpressed overall. It's also the first time in a long time that I've been ready and willing to upgrade my Mac (and iPod) and don't have options available that meet my needs. While I understand the focus and resources Jobs is putting into the iPhone, I'm starting to think that he's doing so to the detriment of Apple's core business, and definitely to their core customer base. I hope that changes soon.

Craig

I couldn't agree more... I felt that there was nothing for people to be excited about this WWDC developer or not!

Edited by isaiah1112

So this is why Leopard had to be delayed?? and they have managed to change a desktop background, make the menu bar a bit translucent, transfer cover flow from itunes and make a new type of folder called a stack and this took them 10 months to do?? with how many programmers? I am very unimpressed by the keynote <_<

Ok.. i understand where you are coming from.. but cut Jobs and Apple some slack!

He has to set his own priorities and he feels that going into the phone market is crucial hence his focus on the iPhone.

And you guys are sooo underestimating Leopard, i mean, if you got your hands on it i would not expect to see one sad or unimpressed face.

With regards to the 10 months issue, look at Vista, they took 5 looong years to do what mac already has, complain about them instead of Apple.

I agree that I was slightly disappointed, but look on the bright side, it is almost guaranteed to be a success and will definitely impress us all.

And i feel that Jobs does have some secrets hiding about the new Hardware products that are kind of overdue.

Who knows?

Ok.. i understand where you are coming from.. but cut Jobs and Apple some slack!

He has to set his own priorities and he feels that going into the phone market is crucial hence his focus on the iPhone.

And you guys are sooo underestimating Leopard, i mean, if you got your hands on it i would not expect to see one sad or unimpressed face.

With regards to the 10 months issue, look at Vista, they took 5 looong years to do what mac already has, complain about them instead of Apple.

I agree that I was slightly disappointed, but look on the bright side, it is almost guaranteed to be a success and will definitely impress us all.

And i feel that Jobs does have some secrets hiding about the new Hardware products that are kind of overdue.

Who knows?

Well... Apple didn't really do what Microsoft did. Vista is a ground up code rewrite, Leopard is not. Still I agree I am disappointed in some ways but whatever still excited about leopard.

lol... thanks for having my back josh.. and i can see your point clearly :)

with regards to the new hardware lineup... the mackbook in the UK has just taken a recent drop of about 100 pounds and this was after it was just upgraded.. seems to me like Apple wants to get ready to intro something ???

Apple isn't using keynotes to announce new products anymore. At the moment, Apple is considering itself as a software company, with hardware as a way to deliver that software. There were more than enough software announcements in the keynote (games, 10 Leopard features, and iPhone web 2.0 development). WWDC is a technical conference for software developers, not a consumer show. The keynote perfectly reflects that IMO.

Aha... now i understand the intentions of these keynotes...

But then what do they use now to intro new hardware.. if they use anything at all?

I believe they use nothing for upgrades (see new MacBook Pros) and Special Events for new products.

I believe they use nothing for upgrades (see new MacBook Pros) and Special Events for new products.

I agree that it was not the best of keynotes, but I still find every Steve Jobs keynote worth watching....

I agree with the above that this is a Keynote for developers. I also agree with the thought that they aren't releasing hardware from these Keynotes as much. They aren't Apple Computers anymore they're Apple Inc. Leopard is going to blow Vista out of the water, I actually think Tiger does that. We, as Mac users, are delivered great products and we get a little too accustom to this so sometimes we can expect a little too much from Apple.

sometimes we can expect a little too much from Apple.

Well, this is mostly caused by the rumor sites. Apple is just so secretive about their products, which seems to be a part of their marketing strategy. Some people like to speculate what Apple is concocting in their computer labs, and have it wrong most of the times. So if there is a little splinter of possible evidence of Apple's things to come, people go crazy and build something out of it that has no roots in reality.

Apple is an innovative company. With innovation comes possible failure, because you cannot know beforehand if people are going to like a product. Apple seems to be good at it, but they have had their failures in the past, which people tend to forget. Remember the one-core Intel Mac mini?

Well, this is mostly caused by the rumor sites. Apple is just so secretive about their products, which seems to be a part of their marketing strategy. Some people like to speculate what Apple is concocting in their computer labs, and have it wrong most of the times. So if there is a little splinter of possible evidence of Apple's things to come, people go crazy and build something out of it that has no roots in reality.

Apple is an innovative company. With innovation comes possible failure, because you cannot know beforehand if people are going to like a product. Apple seems to be good at it, but they have had their failures in the past, which people tend to forget. Remember the one-core Intel Mac mini?

Seems like of all the apple failures to pick the one core apple mini is an odd choice. How about the cube? Or any number of the mid-90's products.

The twentieth anniversary Macintosh, perhaps? Highly innovative, very costly. And what about Hypercard 3.0 or the Apple III?

Who knows, perhaps the iPhone will become Apple's greatest flop in its history. Not because the device is innovative and people don't like it, but because the competition puts in its marketing muscle and rehashes old products as being better than the iPhone. Microsoft has done it and was quite successful at it. Exit Commodore Business Machines, Atari Computers, and others. Money can make up for lack of a lot of good qualities, like being innovative in consumer products.

The twentieth anniversary Macintosh, perhaps? Highly innovative, very costly. And what about Hypercard 3.0 or the Apple III?

Who knows, perhaps the iPhone will become Apple's greatest flop in its history. Not because the device is innovative and people don't like it, but because the competition puts in its marketing muscle and rehashes old products as being better than the iPhone. Microsoft has done it and was quite successful at it. Exit Commodore Business Machines, Atari Computers, and others. Money can make up for lack of a lot of good qualities, like being innovative in consumer products.

I dunno. No one's been able to break the iPod market this way. So far I haven't seen any other phone marketing that can stand up against the iPhone's hype. I think the real deal breaker here is whether or not the iPhone can stand up against the massive hype that it has created for itself. If it disappoints then it's not going to do so hot.

It seems as though at this moment in time that the whole reputation of Apple rests Solely on the iPhone and not so much on Leopard as we all know that it will be a success but are very unstable on the iPhone issue.

I hope Apple does well then it may encourage them to level-up their level of quality in other products :D:D:D

Thats what we would all like

It seems as though at this moment in time that the whole reputation of Apple rests Solely on the iPhone and not so much on Leopard as we all know that it will be a success but are very unstable on the iPhone issue.

I hope Apple does well then it may encourage them to level-up their level of quality in other products :D:D:D

Thats what we would all like

Are you unhappy with other products currently? Personally the only thing that could make me happier with my macbook pro would be a new core2duo model with an LED screen.

The WWDC keynote was a disappointment and its has nothing at all to do with the lack of hardware, yes indeed Apple are very much a software focused company but they need a wide angle lens! I, We,You are all on the forum for 1 unified reason and its not the iPhone.

Steve maybe a marketing god but when you deliver a keynote that in reality is a bunch of "plug-ins" and "money for old rope" ppl will eventually see the BS behind the hype.

The iPod has become an icon of design and functionality and rightly so however the market was not flooded with these devices at conception and market breakthrough was not hinded by the likes of Nokia, Sony Ericson, Motorola.........

$129 buys you what?

Ps, I already have folders in my dock and one of those is for downloads ;-)

Are you unhappy with other products currently? Personally the only thing that could make me happier with my macbook pro would be a new core2duo model with an LED screen.

No no.. believe me i am happily content, i was just covering general feelings. Sorry for the confusion.

And zionlion thanks for broadening my views, that goes to everyone else too.

Now i kind of feel down-er and less excited :unsure:

But i guess i have to face the facts.

I'm not disappointed at all, this is a WWDC. Every single keynote can't be the ground breaking ones, this is exactly what I was expecting from Apple, Inc.

roog

This isn't Macworld. WWDC is not for hardware releases. Everyone should have had thrown out high expectations for hardware announcements.

I was however, very dissapointed with the kickoff keynote. I saw no new major innovations that could have been "Top Secret" for a year. I am sure stacks are great, but are far from Top Secret. I think the real killer was Time Machine, and we have known about that for a year.

Yes Coverflow is neat, but again, not anything that was Top Secret. Translucent menu bar, yep, the innovation is flowing. Great a dock that is reflective... <sarcasm>there goes my productivity</sarcasm>. The things that we knew about are still cool, like iChat.

Quick Look seems very nice, but, in priorety of "top secretness" it should have been very low. Vista has had this feature since some mid betas.

Well... Apple didn't really do what Microsoft did. Vista is a ground up code rewrite, Leopard is not. Still I agree I am disappointed in some ways but whatever still excited about leopard.

I thought microsoft were doing a code rewrite then they saved it for the next one cos it was taking far too long, in fact i thought they gave up quite alot of things and thought they may introduce them later (win fs etc).

And umm yeah the keynote ... boring. I think apple are being stupid as they should continue working on the franchise they have, if their gonna brach out that project should be at the expence of there other project. Is it me or are apple getting more and more evil?

I thought microsoft were doing a code rewrite then they saved it for the next one cos it was taking far too long, in fact i thought they gave up quite alot of things and thought they may introduce them later (win fs etc).

And umm yeah the keynote ... boring. I think apple are being stupid as they should continue working on the franchise they have, if their gonna brach out that project should be at the expence of there other project. Is it me or are apple getting more and more evil?

Nope, they did drop lots of stuff out of Vista due to time but it's still a ground up rewrite. Many people considered this a mistake since things like the network stack could have been perfected rather then rewritten only to introduce more new problems. Still for better or worse it's a full rewrite.

And no in my opinion Apple is not getting more evil. They still focuses on design and user experience then create the technology to make that work. This is better in my mind then creating the technology and then trying to make the UI decent.