pixelZION

network locations ??

Hey All,

I've recently switched to Bellsouth dsl. Well, i've had to modify my smtp settings to use their servers. Works great when I'm at home. Is there a quick way to set up a network location (not sure if that's the right area to do this) that when I'm at work I can switch all my smtp settings to my standard old smtp servers?

Thanks

Hey All,

I've recently switched to Bellsouth dsl. Well, i've had to modify my smtp settings to use their servers. Works great when I'm at home. Is there a quick way to set up a network location (not sure if that's the right area to do this) that when I'm at work I can switch all my smtp settings to my standard old smtp servers?

Thanks

I also use Bellsouth (now AT&T again, I guess: what goes around....), but I do not have that issue. Why did you need to modify your settings?

You can go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts, click on your account, then click the arrow next to the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): area, and click add server, put in your other smtp server.

Then when you send an email if it fails on the default SMTP server then it will ask you what alternate server you want to use to send it. Not sure if theres a way to switch it like the Network locations though (short of going in the account preferences and moving the outgoing mail server from one to the other, but thats rather cumbersome.)

There is http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Mail_Scripts.html

It has a utility to change SMTP servers a little easier then going through the account preferences, which is accessible from the script menu after its installed.

You could also try Location X, as was suggested to me in another post. It hasn't solved my problem, but it should allow you to automatically change SMTP addresses based on your current network location.

- Tim