Hi;

Does anybody have experience with Hamachi x connecting a pc and mac together?

Thanks

Yes, I do. If you have a more specific question, I will be glad to try to answer it.

Yes, I do. If you have a more specific question, I will be glad to try to answer it.

Thanks for the reply.

First it is a no brainer setting up a connection between my Macs. What I want to be able to do is setup a session between my Mac and a collegues PC so I can exchange files. I have yet to be able to figure that part out. So the question is what do we have to do on the both the PC and the Mac sides to configure Hamichi to allow the two computer to exchange files?

Thanks

Setting up Hamachi between Windows and Mac is easy: On the Mac, I install and run HamachiX; whereas on Windows, I use the straight Hamachi. I downloaded the Windows version of Hamachi from LogMeIn.com. To learn more about sharing files between Windows and the Mac, take a look at this article from apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652

Edited by haivu

Setting up Hamachi between Windows and Mac is easy: On the Mac, I install and run HamachiX; whereas on Windows, I use the straight Hamachi. I downloaded the Windows version of Hamachi from LogMeIn.com. To learn more about sharing files between Windows and the Mac, take a look at this article from apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652

Hi and thanks for the reply. I did check out the Apple Article that you linked me too. Most of that stuff I already know. I did not see Windows XP as an setup option. Can you please let me know how you do it?

Thanks.

On the Windows PC, create a share if you dont already have one (Right click on a folder, go to properties, sharing, and share it.)

On the Mac, get the Hamachi IP address of the PC from the HamachiX (will be 5.xx.xx.xx) and then go to finder and click Go > Connect to Server, and for the server put in smb://5.xx.xx.xx.xx (whatever the PCs hamachi IP address is) and hit OK, select the share and hit ok.

To get to the Mac from the PC - On the Mac, go to system preferences, Sharing, and enable Windows file sharing, click accounts and enable the accounts you want to be able to be used to Windows sharing. That will share your Home folder, if you want to share other folders then you can get a freeware called SharePoints. Once enabled, right click on the Mac in Hamachi, and click browse, and that should take you right to it, enter the account password and you should be good.

Also, make sure that any firewalls you have running have windows file and print sharing allowed over the hamachi interface.

Edited by ithonicfury

On the Windows PC, create a share if you dont already have one (Right click on a folder, go to properties, sharing, and share it.)

On the Mac, get the Hamachi IP address of the PC from the HamachiX (will be 5.xx.xx.xx) and then go to finder and click Go > Connect to Server, and for the server put in smb://5.xx.xx.xx.xx (whatever the PCs hamachi IP address is) and hit OK, select the share and hit ok.

To get to the Mac from the PC - On the Mac, go to system preferences, Sharing, and enable Windows file sharing, click accounts and enable the accounts you want to be able to be used to Windows sharing. That will share your Home folder, if you want to share other folders then you can get a freeware called SharePoints. Once enabled, right click on the Mac in Hamachi, and click browse, and that should take you right to it, enter the account password and you should be good.

Also, make sure that any firewalls you have running have windows file and print sharing allowed over the hamachi interface.

Thank you very much for the help.

Another alternative solution: use FolderShare. If all you need is sharing files, then FolderShare can let you do that; it also let you synchronize files between your computers. Here are what I like about this program:

• Free
  • This is a P2P (Person to person) share, which means FolderShare does not keep copies of your files on their server. A word of warning: P2P does not mean your files are safe while trasporting from machine to machine. So if you have some rather private files that are super sensitive: use your decretion.
  • It automatically synchronize between machines; it can synchronize the same folder on more than two machines.
  • It can synchronize files between Mac and PC. I do that all the time
  • If you allow it in the settings, you can search for files that is not shared. For example, when I am away from home with my Mac, I can search for files on my Windows XP desktop machine and download those files to my Mac--provide that my XP machine is is and connected to the internet. You don't even need a static IP address.
  • You can share files with other accounts (friends, family, colleagues...] with your permission.
  • You can share/synchronize more than one folders.
  • It can synchronize large folders--I have tried folders as big as 4GB and I see no reason why it can't handle even larger folders. The catch is synchronization will take time: just leave it running over night. Subsequent file changes such as modification, add, or delete will sync much faster.

Those are the features that I like about FolderShare, enough to allow me to overlook the following shortcomings:

• If you want to share/sync two different folders, you have to create two different share points (FolderShare's terminology is 'library')
  • Microsoft has purchased FolderShare. I don't know what that means to the future of this great software. At the least, they could charge for it.
  • The software requires OS X 10.3.8 at the minimum, which prevents me from sharing with my brother's 10.2.8 machine.
  • You cannot use FolderShare to sync between folders on your internal hard drive and external ones--only between machines.

In summary, this is a good, free program that I have been using for more than two years. Give it a try.

Thank you very much for the help.

Hi

I am at my work computer and have configured everything at my home CPU(MAC). When I Right click on Margaert's iMac in Hamchi from my pc here at work, I do not see a Browse option. Am I doing something wrong?

What options do you see? You should see Ping, Browse, Chat, Copy address, Block and Set Label.

If you don't have browse for whatever reason, then you can select Copy address, then open up My Network Places (or any explorer window) and in the Address bar type \\5.xx.xx.xx (or type in \\ and hit ctrl+v) and hit enter.

I also use Hamachi to access my parents machine from my Mac (via VNC) - works very well and avoids any port remapping on routers etc.

I also use Hamachi to access my parents machine from my Mac (via VNC) - works very well and avoids any port remapping on routers etc.

I wanted to thank you all for your help. I was able to connect to my friends PC. It is very slow and cludgey. I wonder if there is another faster way to connect with the my PC and now have all the slowdowns and clunkiness.

Thanks again

Jerry

The speed will be limited to the speed of your connections upload speeds, which are usually much slower then your download speed (most 1.5Mbps internet connections have 128Kbps upload speeds), so for transfering files, it can be pretty slow. Hamachi may take alittle bandwidth as overhead for the encryption, but its not much, and its nothing that any other solution wouldnt do anyway.