SimonJT

Network Storage

Hi Guys....

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here we go......

Currently in our house we have a PC (for the sake of it hehe), my iBook, the wifes Mac Book Pro, and a Mac Mini as a media centre.

All this on a wireless network with a netgear router (and no brand adsl modem).

Presently ive been ripping DVDs etc to a 250gig IDE hard drive in a case connected through USB to the Mac Mini. This has been working well, but i want it better......

What im thinking is to get one of these:

Netgear SC101

and plug it into the router.

I will then use the 250 gig drive and stick it in there, so the stuff is available to all computers on the network.

Because there are 2 hard drive plugs in the SC101, ill get one of these for good measure:

400 gig HD

Should be good for 80 odd full dvds all up ...hehe.....

Also want to use this as the location of our photo and music librarys for itunes and iphoto.

Anyway now the questions.

1) Is this a good idea, or what problems will i have.....

2) What format will the hard drives need to be? At the moment, the 250gig one is a mac format. Will it have to be FAT32?

3) Is our 54mbps network adequate for streaming DVD quality video.

4) last, can i use the libraries (music and photos) i set up on this drive on multiple macs?

Sorry for the long post.....

Why not get an airport extreme? You can put as many drives on as you want via a hub, you won't have to reformat your drive and you get n networking to boot.

But yes, you should be able to do everything you want, but I have my reservations about streaming video over a g network and you'll probably have to format your drive to get it to work with the netgear thingie.

The system you propose won't work. That netgear POS although a great idea won't work with macs [take a look at the sys requirements on the netgear page]. Neither will the similar Linksys version. So as Graham suggested buy an airport extreme and just start plugging in drives as you need them. You can also add 802.11n to the various computers in the house if you decide video over 802.11g won't work for you.

Thanks guys....

yep i read some reviews on this after i posted..... stoopid products with propriatry pc only support.

hmmm airport extrreme you say.... ill check it out.

im guessing you plug external usb hard drives into it.... i was hoping to get rid of the nasty case i have at the moment. its meant for a cd/dvd drive, so its powered up all the time....

That's right. Most USB drives power down when you're not using them. I've got a couple of western digital drives hooked up to my extreme via a hub and they work fine.

I wouldn't recommend the Netgear either... if you want reliability either get a RAID 5 system, or the drobo... either way it's expensive... also, don't forget THE BACKUP... I know I've had 2, yes 2, external USB drives crap out on me whilst writing to the MFT... and Disk Util was no avail... the only thing that worked was a program called PC Inspector for the PC. Needlesss to say, if you do go the USB route, DO NOT get anything with Sabrent in the name... it's a big POS. and keep stuff backed up...

A warning about FAT32, because it's 32-bit, you can't store files over 4GB. I learned this the hard way...

If you're going to store massive DVD backups, chances are they're going to go over that limit, so you'll definately want to use a different filesystem.

Which is why I recommend the airport extreme. It supports hfs+.

ok guys... i think i have a winner...... a friend of mine found this.

IceCube G2

Might even get a 2nd one and chuck a 400 gig drive in like the original plan.

"Port Configurations LAN 10/100base- TX Auto MDI/MDI-X, 1 Poryt (RJ-45)"

I would prefer a gigabit solution, but then, the Airport Extreme is only 10/100base-T as well. Beautiful design, that IceCube.

"Port Configurations LAN 10/100base- TX Auto MDI/MDI-X, 1 Poryt (RJ-45)"

I would prefer a gigabit solution, but then, the Airport Extreme is only 10/100base-T as well. Beautiful design, that IceCube.

yeah gigabit would be nice, but im only running 802.11g so its pointless....

what would be faster is extreme base station (802.11n) with usb 2 hdd.....

but im after a cheap solution hehe.

Ill keep you posted....