Sign in to follow this  
funkyp56

I must be retarded but....

whats stopping me from using a single computer tiger disk on 5 different macs? if the answer is nothing, why is this possible? is apple crazy or just nice.

thanks

new switcher

whats stopping me from using a single computer tiger disk on 5 different macs?
Other than your own concience you mean?
is apple crazy or just nice.
just nice :D

lets hope they stay nice;-)

whats stopping me from using a single computer tiger disk on 5 different macs? if the answer is nothing, why is this possible? is apple crazy or just nice.

thanks

new switcher

I don't think they have anything to lose, if you are using that Install DVD you have to have a Mac to put it on, so they are in a win-win situation.

roog

Wait so your saying if a bunch of my friends get together this october and we all pitch in to buy Leopard we can just upgrade all are computer? Thats crazy! The only problem with that is that I would not be able to sleep at night knowing that I had ripped Apple off.

Wait so your saying if a bunch of my friends get together this october and we all pitch in to buy Leopard we can just upgrade all are computer? Thats crazy! The only problem with that is that I would not be able to sleep at night knowing that I had ripped Apple off.

You also wouldn't have a copy of the DVD install disks yourself. So if you needed to reinstall the OS and the friend who has the disks was away you'd be out of luck!

You also wouldn't have a copy of the DVD install disks yourself. So if you needed to reinstall the OS and the friend who has the disks was away you'd be out of luck!

Unless you had created a "backup" of the install DVDs ;)

Anyway, if you like Mac OS X Tiger, you probably buy Leopard, just out of appreciation. Stealing software is so Windows-minded. Apple doesn't treat you like a crook, so I suggest you don't act like one.

Unless you had created a "backup" of the install DVDs ;)

Anyway, if you like Mac OS X Tiger, you probably buy Leopard, just out of appreciation. Stealing software is so Windows-minded. Apple doesn't treat you like a crook, so I suggest you don't act like one.

Perhaps by definition Im a crook? I purchase a new machine 5 weeks before Tiger was released and already having a Mac I decided to purchase the new OS to install on the older machine. At the time of purchase at a Apple Authorised retail unit I was told that I would be able to install Tiger on multiple machines so when I arrived home from work I did this and sleep very well at night.

I intend to purchase a New MBP and when OSX.10.5 is released I will install this on 2 machines.

I would suggest we all looked at our iTunes Libraries and Application folder before we pass judgements.

Well, a lock on your door keeps honest people honest, and a shotgun keeps all people honest. ;)

Looking at my applications folder and itunes library shows that I've paid for each and every item in there. It pisses me off when people steal my software, so I'm sure as hell not going to steal someone elses.

Well, a lock on your door keeps honest people honest, and a shotgun keeps all people honest. ;)

MBW was a little "friction packed" Merlin and Scott seem to be at odds and Leo seems to be his usual self "hiding on the sidelines".

The quote they used is very interesting but flawed, "A lock on your door insinuates honest people are dishonest" change the "people" for "Customers" and your business model makes as much sense as a chocolate fire guard.

Edited by zionlion

Looking at my applications folder and itunes library shows that I've paid for each and every item in there. It pisses me off when people steal my software, so I'm sure as hell not going to steal someone elses.

Yes! Thanks. I used to steal software until I studied as a developer. Although I'm not currently working as a developer, I understand that if someone wants to get paid for what they do then they should get paid. I then went through my Applications folder and started replacing things. I swapped out Photoshop for Gimp, and Microsoft Office for NeoOffice to name a few.

I've always believed that Apple doesn't have serial numbers for their OS clients because of the lock to the hardware. Like someone said you're still buying a Mac, where as Microsoft doesn't sell the hardware, so if people traded Windows copies around they'd be in more trouble. However, they do have serial number for OS X server since that is about more than just the hardware. It's still not night to steal the OS, but I believe that's why they make it so easy.

Also, if you buy a Mac within a certain time before the release of a new OS, Apple has historically offered an upgrade (on tied-to-hardware discs) for around $20 US. If you're too cheep to pay 20 bucks for a legal copy, then there is probably no hope for you.

-Tom

I told my Windows using flatmate how much OS X usually costs. He couldn't believe it. For a seriously good operating system I think it's a bargain (like most OS X software to be honest).

Yes! Thanks. I used to steal software until I studied as a developer. Although I'm not currently working as a developer, I understand that if someone wants to get paid for what they do then they should get paid. I then went through my Applications folder and started replacing things. I swapped out Photoshop for Gimp, and Microsoft Office for NeoOffice to name a few.

I've always believed that Apple doesn't have serial numbers for their OS clients because of the lock to the hardware. Like someone said you're still buying a Mac, where as Microsoft doesn't sell the hardware, so if people traded Windows copies around they'd be in more trouble. However, they do have serial number for OS X server since that is about more than just the hardware. It's still not night to steal the OS, but I believe that's why they make it so easy.

Also, if you buy a Mac within a certain time before the release of a new OS, Apple has historically offered an upgrade (on tied-to-hardware discs) for around $20 US. If you're too cheep to pay 20 bucks for a legal copy, then there is probably no hope for you.

-Tom

That sounds like a great deal $20 for a legal copy, shame its not a option or it certainly wasn't when I had spent £1500 on a new machine 5/6 weeks before release. Guess I am cheap ;-)

Im a developer and don't steal other ppls software? Thats a contradiction in terms. I have spent the last 20 years working with Developers and all have "plagiarised" other software, come on!!

I think we need perspective on this matter and as the post suggests "buying 1 copy and filtering it around your mates is wrong" that is theft I totally agree and wouldn't do that. I will however make a decision thats based on good moral reasoning not disregard and theft.

Edited by zionlion

fortunatly i have a conience, and a corp. credit card and an owner of my job that I helped fall in love with macs, so I wont have to steal any. I do see the argument of 'you already bought a mac, so we dont really care if you share.' good job apple for staying away from serial numbers, keep it up!

It's true that for $129 it is a bargain, I just thought it was wierd that they would allow you to do that expecially copy the disk. I have to tip my hats to a lot of the develpers too because they make some pretty sweet software that is beautiful, functional, and as Apple puts it "just works" and they do it at bargain or atleast reasonable prices.