Sign in to follow this  
Daren77

Do you turn your iBook Off?

Hello all...

I have an iBook G4 and use it as my main computer. I plan on getting a desktop (mac) but that may be a couple years off as I've just gone back to school and a little short on cash.

I just recently switched over to Mac from the evil PC and have heard a lot about Macs being left on for such a long time because they don't "need" reboots like PC's do. But does that apply to the portables too? Not that they need reboots but is it a good idea to leave them on? I love how my iBook pops right back on after its been sleeping. (Try to get a pc to do that....good luck)

Also...just wondering. Would leaving my iBook plugged in to the power supply damage the battery? Can it be overcharged or does the system stop charging when it's full?

Thanks,

Daren

I shut my iBook off if I know I won't be using it for a while or if I'm traveling with it out of town. There isn't any reason I do this, just habit. I also reboot it every now and then, especially if I've been making heavy use of the processor and RAM and I want the "clean" and fast feeling after a restart.

Leaving it plugged in will not damage the battery. But exercising the battery, running it down and charging it back up, is a good thing to do.

I turn my Powerbook off (When it is not in use it lives in a bag i also have a Older G4 Quicksilver PowerMac) If you are going to use your iBook as a Desktop replacement that is Grate But you Should use the Batery (Once a monh)

Yah, I agree with everyone else. I never turn my Powerbook off, unless I'm not going to be using for at least a day or two (which doesn't happen very often!).

I think you should use the battery at least every other week if not more often. I ruined a Gateway battery once by not using it enough...

It's sometimes 4 or 5 days between uses of my iBook as I mainly use my G4 DP MDD for most things. I have never had a sleep problem or battery problem, and the only time I really power it off is if I have done an update that needs a restart. I think this is one area that the Mac is streets ahead of mobile PC technology. By the time I have the screen fully opened, the machine has powered up and is ready to go. Likewise when you are putting it to sleep. Just close the screen and walk away. Awesome. So in answer to your question... No.. I never turn my iBook off. I will however use it plugged into the mains as much as possible, and then run it flat and recharge once a month (or thereabouts) as suggested on the Apple site. You can put a reminder in iCal to remind you to do this at monthly intervals if you are forgetful (as I am), although I doubt it is that crucial to be too precise. As long as it is fully depleted and then fully charged once every now and again, it should be ok. HTH.

My iBook is always on and I even don't close the lid over night, but I do restart it

once in a while, often around every third or fouth day...

I think I'll do as soulminer suggested and have the

battery run flat once in a while, for the lifetime of the battery :)

I usuallly leave my G4 ibook on for about a week or longer. I never really see any decrease in my proformance until a week and a half.

I've heard that leaving a computer on wears out the harddrive and power supply. I generally always put mine in standby or hibernation