Sign in to follow this  
joenspa

iMac - Early Slot Loading, Hard Drive Replacement

My sister has an old iMac, 350MHz Power PC G3. It's the older first style iMac with the CRT but not the very first version. Anyway it has a 6 Gig drive that we would like to upgrade to something larger. If I found the right one on Apple's site it's an ATA drive. Has anyone had experience swapping these drives out. How tough is it to open the case and how big of a drive can they see?

Thanks!

I've never taken apart an iMac of that era, but I have taken apart an eMac several times I can offer a few words of wisdom. First and most important discharge the CRT. These thigns are kinda like huge capacitors and can hold enough charge to kill someone. Seriously. If you remember nothing else remember that. Next because this computer is hardly larger than the CRT it's packaged around it's very tight in there. There are a lot of tricky manovers you'll need to perform to get pieces to come apart. Don't forse anything too much; there is usually some angle where things will slide right off, the trick is finding that angle. Thre are also a bunch of wires, such as the one for the power button, that are just long enough to do the job, so be careful to unplug them before removing what they are connected to. Also pluging them back in can be hard, not impossible, but hard. My last piece of advice is go here and follow what they say. I'd also read throgh everything fist and then start the take apart after I knew what to expect. You might also want a printout of that site or another computer next to you for reference. Any other issues feel free to ask, I'll do what I can from afar.

-Tom

My sister has an old iMac, 350MHz Power PC G3. It's the older first style iMac with the CRT but not the very first version. Anyway it has a 6 Gig drive that we would like to upgrade to something larger. If I found the right one on Apple's site it's an ATA drive. Has anyone had experience swapping these drives out. How tough is it to open the case and how big of a drive can they see?

Thanks!

I have replaced one or two, with that very model, I believe. There are instructions on the web somewhere. Find them.

The most difficult thing to do is crack the bottom of the case off. It is not difficult to do and you will not break it, BUT... it WILL feel and sound like you have when you do it. After removing a few screws (for lack of the right term), you will hinge the case toward the monitor glass. It will POP... loud. That is expected, so be ready. You haven't broken it.

From there, it is not very hard; just follow the directions. It is not as hard as the eMac, and it doesn't require you to go as deep into the guts, so go for it. It is a worthwhile upgrade.

Edited by jroller

Yeah I have done it with the exact same model. I bought a 40GB HD cheap (apparently it had problems when the PC got hot) off an auction site and put it in the 350MHz iMac. It has been running fine for the last couple of years. The site I used to help me is here.

Oh and it's running Tiger with 256MB RAM - If I remember rightly I installed Tiger on it before putting it in the iMac via a Firewire case.

Edited by Alan

Yeah I have done it with the exact same model. I bought a 40GB HD cheap (apparently it had problems when the PC got hot) off an auction site and put it in the 350MHz iMac. It has been running fine for the last couple of years. The site I used to help me is here.

Oh and it's running Tiger with 256MB RAM - If I remember rightly I installed Tiger on it before putting it in the iMac via a Firewire case.

I replaced the logic board and the CDRW drive with a DVD drive on my Flower Power iMac and I used these instructions.

http://www.neoview.com/powerlogix/imac/010/

roog