mac_fanboy

I must sound like an idiot.

Just today, I booted up my mac. Once everything loaded on the desktop, I noticed something unusual: None of my desktop icons showed up (as in my Hard disk and an application I recently downloaded). I can still access these items in my desktop folder in the finder. Also, when I click on the desktop, it doesn't switch to the finder. Please Help!

Thanks

mac_fanboy

Very odd.

First thing do not do anything in a hurry ...

I assume you have rebooted (from a full shutdown and removing the power cord) and the problem persists.

What application did you recently download.

Can you run disk utility from the applications>utilities folder ?

Very odd.

First thing do not do anything in a hurry ...

I assume you have rebooted (from a full shutdown and removing the power cord) and the problem persists.

What application did you recently download.

Can you run disk utility from the applications>utilities folder ?

Recently, I have downloaded Cocktail (similar to Onyx) and I did use it but every time I did it would freeze and I had to force quit. Also, I have recently downloaded Path Finder. I have since deleted both programs but this is odd because this only happened within the past 24 hours and I deleted those programs about two or three days ago. So should I repair permissions? Or is there an alternative?

Edited by mac_fanboy

Recently, I have downloaded Cocktail (similar to Onyx) and I did use it but every time I did it would freeze and I had to force quit. Also, I have recently downloaded Path Finder. I have since deleted both programs but this is odd because this only happened within the past 24 hours and I deleted those programs about two or three days ago. So should I repair permissions? Or is there an alternative?

See if maintenance sorts things out. http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/maintenance.html

I'm not sure if it's something I installed or not, but command-octothrop (the pound sign / tic-tac-toe board thing that's shift 3 on US keyboards) toggles show and hide desktop. Or you can look in the services sub menu of the Finder menu. Hopefully it's just that easy. I'd suggest selecting that from the menu since here in the US that would be command shift 3 which takes a pic of the screen.

-Tom

P.S. If that option isn't on your machines does anyone know what I could have installed to make it do that. I install stuff all the time foolishly and often end up with very strange things on my computer.

to repair your bootup disk, you need to boot from your OS X disc and run disk utility from there. then select your hard drive and you'll be able to press the repair hard disk button.

Edited by joe28753

When I ran maintenance, it said I had to repair disk. I don't mean to sound dumb...but how do I do that?

Not to confuse the new user, but if you use 'applejack' and use it in AUTO mode, this repairs all disk and permissions issues.

Try this as a last resort to the above mention items.

IT is scary looking as you need to boot into single user mode, which is a teminal shell. No aqua desktop. Looks like a linux or dos shell.

I needed to run applejack to fix my intel mac after the 10.4.10 update, where my mac would boot properly.

Here is a great article on mac maintenance http://www.destinyofshadow.com/MaintenanceSecurity.pdf

Applejack is here http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

If you get to need this, skype me and ill assist..

Okay, so I've done almost every type of maintenance out there...so I guess my last option is to re-install OS X. If I can remember correctly, if I do an archive and install, it should re-install without affecting my information, right?

I still think that reapplying the latest combo system update is worth a try ...

Okay, so I've done almost every type of maintenance out there...so I guess my last option is to re-install OS X. If I can remember correctly, if I do an archive and install, it should re-install without affecting my information, right?

as SimonB mentioned if you haven't done the combo update give it a try first but yes an archive and install keeps everything on your system other than the actual OS files the same.

It sounds like a corrupt preferences file - may have got corrupted after installing those apps, but only showed up when you restarted later.

A couple of things worth trying first before reinstalling anything.

Create a new user and see if the problem occurs on their desktop.

If not ( and I'm guessing it won't) Got to Home/Library/Preferences and delete the 'com.apple.finder.plist' file and restart your computer.

Edit: Could also try deleting the 'com.apple.desktop.plist' file as well.

Edited by Alan

try applejack before you reinstall. feel free to skype me

Also before reinstall navigate to /Users/[Your-User-Name]/Library/Preferences/ and delete the file com.apple.desktop.plist you could also find this file via searching. Since all the files are intact on your filesystem I'm then lead to believe that this file may be corrupted.

-Tom

It sounds like a corrupt preferences file - may have got corrupted after installing those apps, but only showed up when you restarted later.

A couple of things worth trying first before reinstalling anything.

Create a new user and see if the problem occurs on their desktop.

If not ( and I'm guessing it won't) Got to Home/Library/Preferences and delete the 'com.apple.finder.plist' file and restart your computer.

Edit: Could also try deleting the 'com.apple.desktop.plist' file as well.

YES! THANK YOU! Deleting 'com.apple.finder.plist' fixed the problem. Thank you very much!!!

YES! THANK YOU! Deleting 'com.apple.finder.plist' fixed the problem. Thank you very much!!!

I'm glad you were able to fix your issue without needing to do a reinstall, though fairly painless compared to the Windows world it still is quite time sonsuming and I try to reinstall once a year at the most.

-Tom

Edited by almighty_spork

I had thought that one of the things that onyx/maintenance was supposed to do was delete those files was I wrong?

I'm glad you were able to fix your issue without needing to do a reinstall, though fairly painless compared to the Windows world it still is quite time sonsuming and I try to reinstall once a year at the most.

-Tom

Actually I did reinstall...it makes me sooo mad! I went through all of that trouble only to find that it didn't fix my problem. Then I found out all I had to do was delete a file in my library folder!!! Oh well, at least my mac runs a little bit quicker ;)

Edited by mac_fanboy

Glad that it got sorted for you.