Maurice

Internet sharing using airport

I have a mini connected by ethernet to a router, and I want to share the internet connection with an iBook using Airport. With sharing this can be done easily, but is there a special reason why I can only choose the (worthless) WEP-security, and not WPA? With WEP you can't leave the connection on permanently, it's just too insecure, so I have to turn it on when I really need it, and then not forget to turn it off again. Is this a ploy by Apple to force us to buy a separate Airport-express?

Another problem is that the iBook is not on the local network, it can't find the shared iTunes-library of another mini connected to the local wired network, a problem also solved in the Airport-express. Is there a way to overcome these problems or am I forced to buy a wireless router of some sort? I use wireless not often, so I don't want to do that.

But wireless routers are dirt cheap. You can get one here for about £15 if you shop around. I never bothered with sharing from a computer, it's not worth the hassle really. It never works very well on any operating system, not just OS X.

But wireless routers are dirt cheap.

Well, that may be so, but I still find it strange that Apple doesn't provide WPA on the sharing option. Can you recommend a 'dirt cheap' router that works well with Airport?

Edited by Maurice

Unfortunately not, since I run all apple gear pretty much here, but any router will work as long as it's got web based configuration (I.E. you don't need to run a windows program to set it up). The airport is just a standard 802.11 card.

Well, that may be so, but I still find it strange that Apple doesn't provide WPA on the sharing option. Can you recommend a 'dirt cheap' router that works well with Airport?

I use this Belkin Router along with an airport express, a macbook pro, and a compaq laptop all running WPA. It works great, they have free 24/7 phone tech support, and it's only $39. The only issue I ever had is that they don't publish the routers IP address in the manual because they want you to use their software. I just called them to get it but you can also find it online or I have it at home just PM me if you buy it and need the IP address.

Edited by joshr

Actually what I said before (brain fart) was incorrect. I have a Thompson SpeedTouch router / ADSL modem (freebie from my ISP) and it works quite happily with my macs.