Sign in to follow this  
evenprimes

Convert a 4G iPod from Windows format to Mac format?

I've got a 4G iPod with the Windows disk format on it. When the last firmware update came out it wouldn't install off my Mini w/o reformatting the hard disk. I didn't want to mess with that at the time and I was wondering if it could cause any problems?

It sync's up just fine on the Mac, I just want to know if I might have problems if I do a full reformat with the new format.

Chris

Chris,

A harddrive is a harddrive is a harddrive. IF you re-forrmat your iPod (which I've done many times) using Disk Utilities, you will also need to run iPod Restore to get the Mac to recognize it as an iPod.

But when you're done, no problems. Just make sure you do the whole process on one machine.

- MT

There is actually a feature in the iPod Software that will reformat the iPod, so you don't need to do the two steps, using the two seperate programs.

But does it actually erase the HD? I sometimes (and this is only because I can be anal about my gear) 7 Way format the drive. Does iPod Restore do that as well?

- MT

But does it actually erase the HD?  I sometimes (and this is only because I can be anal about my gear) 7 Way format the drive.  Does iPod Restore do that as well?

- MT

probably not, but I think it does a good enough job for the average user. if you want the 7 way format, though, MT is right, go with Disk Utility.

Sorry, I'm really anal about my drives... especially after all the "Unreal Tournament" crashes...

- MT

A harddrive is a harddrive is a harddrive.  

Cool. Thanks!

Next time Apple updates the firmware I'll convert it over.

Just make sure that if you're anal like me you do BOTH steps. IF you just erase it, you've just created a palm-sized harddrive. Also, I only suggest you do this if you know what you're doing.

- MT