Sign in to follow this  
switcher98223

iPhoto slideshows

Is it possible to use multiple songs as soundtracks in iPhoto slideshows? I don't want to loop the same song over and over again, and I don't want to limit the slide show to the length of one song. I would like to put in different music for different portions of the show. I realize I could buy higher end slideshow software, but I'm new to Mac and trying to find out what the given software will, or will not, do for me.

I had this ability with the basic Microsoft slideshow maker, but I hated everything else about Windows and even that program. Please tell me I can do this on my Mac.

Is it possible to use multiple songs as soundtracks in iPhoto slideshows? I don't want to loop the same song over and over again, and I don't want to limit the slide show to the length of one song. I would like to put in different music for different portions of the show. I realize I could buy higher end slideshow software, but I'm new to Mac and trying to find out what the given software will, or will not, do for me.

I had this ability with the basic Microsoft slideshow maker, but I hated everything else about Windows and even that program. Please tell me I can do this on my Mac.

Yes, I am pretty sure that if you set up a playlist in iTunes with the songs you want and select the playlist as your music selection in iPhoto, it will play the playlist, not just the song.

Hope that makes sense. And welcome to the Mac.

Edited by jroller

Yes, I am pretty sure that if you set up a playlist in iTunes with the songs you want and select the playlist as your music selection in iPhoto, it will play the playlist, not just the song.

Hope that makes sense. And welcome to the Mac.

I wasn't aware of using a playlist, but that makes sense. Still, this would not give me control over what songs play at what point, or corresponding to a particular set of slides, which is what I'm looking for.

I see that I can create a soundtrack using garage band, but I can only pull in photos or movies, but not a completed slide show.

Maybe if I describe what I want to do, I can get some tips.

I do slide shows for my daughter's soccer team. I put toghether slides of games, social outings etc, and use different music for different sections of the show. I tinker with the amount of time a particular slide "shows" and tinker with the order of pics to concide with the music. That way, the music begins and ends at appropriate breaks and the slides move along with those breaks. To do this, I need to be able to manipulate both the slides and the music at the same time.

Right now, it looks like I could create a slideshow in iPhoto, manipulate the panning, etc. and export to iMovie. Drag the movie into Garage Band and create a sound track. That gets me part way there, but I won't be able to manipulate the slides to fit the music, and will be left with only manipulating the soundtrack to go with the movies.

Does that make sense? Can someone suggest a better way to approach my project?

Well, I didn't get many answers here, but I've been reading more. It looks like iMovie is my answer. That appears to give a lot of control over all the elements. iPhoto slideshows seem to be more "quick & easy." I will start looking at iMovie and see if that answers my question.

LOL, first time reading this thread and I got to your second to last post and the thought came into my mind "iMovie" - so glad you found the solution on your own.

Aren't Macs grand?

LOL, first time reading this thread and I got to your second to last post and the thought came into my mind "iMovie" - so glad you found the solution on your own.

Aren't Macs grand?

I am really enjoying this. I sat with iMovie last night just tinkering around and it is wonderful. The layers of music and sound I can add are great. The control over length of slides, effects, etc. I realize this is not a pro application, but for what I do, it is such a huge step forward. With Windows it was such a pain I just couldn't take it any longer.

I think my OP came from my Windows brain.