Sign in to follow this  
funkyp56

ZFS

ok i have been hearing a bunch about ZFS, but what would happen in this situation. Ill use small number just to get by....

I have a 20gb drive via ZFS, I have 10gb of data on it, I than add a new 20gb drive to the pool. I add 20gb of more data. so now I have 30 gb on the 40 gb pool. My first 20gb drive goes dead. how is my second 20gb drive functional? if they don't have a good awnser for this, than I dont see a point in combining drive space in the way that I have seen this ZFS described.

ok i have been hearing a bunch about ZFS, but what would happen in this situation. Ill use small number just to get by....

I have a 20gb drive via ZFS, I have 10gb of data on it, I than add a new 20gb drive to the pool. I add 20gb of more data. so now I have 30 gb on the 40 gb pool. My first 20gb drive goes dead. how is my second 20gb drive functional? if they don't have a good awnser for this, than I dont see a point in combining drive space in the way that I have seen this ZFS described.

Ok you have lost me but thats ok cos im not that bright ;-) Have you subscribed to MacBreak Tech? in episode 2 they go into ZFS in great detail.

I have to say that listening to the guys explain the system make me want it yesterday and cant understand why Apple would not get behind this 100%, rumor tells us that it is in 10.5 but "read only" for the time being ;-)

Ok you have lost me but thats ok cos im not that bright ;-) Have you subscribed to MacBreak Tech? in episode 2 they go into ZFS in great detail.

I have to say that listening to the guys explain the system make me want it yesterday and cant understand why Apple would not get behind this 100%, rumor tells us that it is in 10.5 but "read only" for the time being ;-)

I thought ZFS didn't make it because of time constraints kind of like the new windows file system.

I think ZFS will be fully implemented in the version of Mac OS X after Leopard, however, with a certain application framework by Google (MacFuse) you should be able to implement ZFS, although I'm not sure if anyone has done that already with a stable implementation.

Edited by Ignoracious

I think ZFS will be fully implemented in the version of Mac OS X after Leopard, however, with a certain application framework by Google (MacFuse) you should be able to implement ZFS, although I'm not sure if anyone has done that already with a stable implementation.

I have been sat mulling this over, as you do on a Wednesday evening, and to be honest would you trust all your Data to such a new FSys? Im not sure I wouldn't 100% but perhaps over time have a steady migration into ZFS.

Just been over to Google and checked out MacFuse and Im impressed with the FTP FSys, I have Hundreds of free gigs on my hosting and don't really exploit it as much as I could. Maybe give it a try?

IMO Safer, Faster backup is way over due and surely for the person that develops this its got to be a gold mine!

I have been sat mulling this over, as you do on a Wednesday evening, and to be honest would you trust all your Data to such a new FSys? Im not sure I wouldn't 100% but perhaps over time have a steady migration into ZFS.

ZFS isn't all that new. It was first included in Solaris (SUN did make ZFS after all) in late 2005. So it's had a good while to mature and I know I'll be using it (if it's available).

-Tom

I've seen ZFS in action and it is amazing! They way it can just "absorb" another drive and make them all look like 1......wow.....it's just amazing!

Unfortunately for us Apple pulled a Microsoft and has axed most all ZFS support just as Microsoft did away with WinFS in Vista. The only support will be read-only via the terminal. I hope that Apple will bring support for ZFS sooner than later, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Tom

Whatever they do, I hope it's more stable than HFS+. It seems like unless you babysit it with catalog repairing tools like Disk Warrior, you eventually wind up with a trashed file system. I constantly run across unbootable machines that simply have a messed up catalog. Even a machine fresh from Apple shows about 30% in Disk Warrior's graph.

Whatever they do, I hope it's more stable than HFS+. It seems like unless you babysit it with catalog repairing tools like Disk Warrior, you eventually wind up with a trashed file system. I constantly run across unbootable machines that simply have a messed up catalog. Even a machine fresh from Apple shows about 30% in Disk Warrior's graph.

I agree with your sentiment completely, HFS+ is well past its prime. The file system came out on January 19, 1998 when Mac OS 8.1 was released. That's about 7 1/2 years ago, which is an eternity in computer terms. Just think about it, Win 98 came out in May of that year, and if you've ever used Win 98 you'd agree that it's an outdated piece of junk. I would submit that HFS+ is also an outdated piece of junk, just less apparent since what it does happened behind the scenes.

-Tom

I though zfs wasn't intergrated as you couldn't boot from it, though it is expected to be able to do it soon.

Plus i though apple were going to implement it later.

Whatever, i want zfs!

I though zfs wasn't intergrated as you couldn't boot from it, though it is expected to be able to do it soon.

Plus i though apple were going to implement it later.

Whatever, i want zfs!

It is integrated, but only as read-only and only through the terminal, and you can't boot from it. And you're right that they said they'd implement it later, but they also said they'd include it when Leopard is released, so I just don't know how much later "later" is.

-Tom