Hi, brand new to Mac, loving every minute of it. (Wasn't there some terrible 80s metal song with that title?) Quick and easy question: what do I use to play .wmv files? If I am correct, wmv is a Windows format and believe me, I want no part of that - but's it's a video of my cousin's new baby so I want to watch it.

Thanks!

Johnny

Hi, brand new to Mac, loving every minute of it. (Wasn't there some terrible 80s metal song with that title?) Quick and easy question: what do I use to play .wmv files? If I am correct, wmv is a Windows format and believe me, I want no part of that - but's it's a video of my cousin's new baby so I want to watch it.

Thanks!

Johnny

I use this its free and works pretty well.

Edited by zionlion

I use this its free and works pretty well.

You will find it handy to have Flip4Mac installed, even if you want to stay away from M$ products.

I also use Flip 4 Mac and love it, there are some minor issues with streaming WMV stuff, but after messing with settings there hasn't been anything I haven't been able to get to work at an acceptable level.

In the same general topic I'd like to point you, or anyone else, to Easy WMA which can convert many audio formats (asf, ogg vorbis, wav, wma, wmv) to more Mac friendly formats (aiff, m4a, mp3, wav). I've been using this for a long time and I love it.

-Tom

Another option: Use VLC (search for it via Google or your favorite search engine).

Another option: Use VLC (search for it via Google or your favorite search engine).

VLC is a great option, especially since you don't have to pay them anything to enable full screen (the ONLY feature of Quicktime Pro that I ever use). But, what with the whole front row thing, (I know there are alternatives) I usually try get things to play in Quicktime whenever possible so that they also work in Front Row.

-Tom