mamafonz

I backed up... now how to use it?

I was trying to "fix" something in Safari last night. (Don't ask, I finally figured it out! Too late, though...) I thought perhaps it would help if I reset Safari. So I did.

Well, that means that I lost all of my membernames and passwords for everywhere on the whole web. Yeah, YOU knew that. *I* on the other hand thought it would reset the toolbar (what I was trying to fix... stop laughing RIGHT NOW!! I am so embarrassed.)

So anyway. I have Backup on my computer and it does its thing all of the time. So there is a back up of Home folder on an external. There is a backup of iLife on external (I don't think that's the one I want) and there is a backup of Personal Data on iDisk.

Question #1: Where do I go to find the file that contains the info I accidentally deleted in my reset of Safari?

Question #2: How do I get it from its backed-up location to the place where it will once again save my brain from trying to remember a bejillion usernames and paswords?

Thanks for your help... I know now that resetting Safari and restoring the toolbar are completely different things.

Susan Gross

Colorado Springs, CO

<www.susangrosstprs.com>

:unsure:

I think it's stored in your keychain. Don't quote me on this, I'm only guessing! Your keychain is stored in ~/Library/Keychains, so you should be able to import your old one using keychain access. Not sure though. Should be fine!

Go to your Backup App and click on the "Personal Data & Settings" backup then click restore.

You'll be presented with a list of backups sorted by date. Click on the date you want to restore from.

Now you will be given a list of settings which should include: Address Book, Keychain, Safari - Tick the box of the ones you want to restore and click 'Restore Selection'

Of course that is only valid if you use the Apple Backup software. If you use anything else like chronosync or superduper than you'll need to go the route that I suggested.

Of course if you read the original post:

I have Backup on my computer and it does its thing all of the time. So there is a back up of Home folder on an external. There is a backup of iLife on external (I don't think that's the one I want) and there is a backup of Personal Data on iDisk.

You would know that they were referring to Apple Backup! I go for reading over guessing every time!!

Now come on. There's no need to be rude. It doesn't say apple backup anywhere. People make mistakes with capitalisation (well, with lots of things really) all the time. I was merely offering an alternative solution. I wasn't saying you were wrong, just offering another way of doing it. It's how we learn, by listening to other people.

Edited by Graham

OK some clarification required here. Not intended to be rude - a little pointed perhaps, but not rude.

You are correct, it doesn't say Apple Backup, but it does say Backup which is the name of the app that Apple supplies as part of a dotMac account. However by checking Backup it is clear that options of how to backup your data were similar to how to mamafonz described her backups:

a back up of Home folder on an external. There is a backup of iLife on external (I don't think that's the one I want) and there is a backup of Personal Data on iDisk.

These are all standard scripts within the Backup app which would indicate that this is indeed what she was referring to.

Now someone who comes along and offers advice based on what they think and admits they are only guessing then turns around and suggests that the actual correct advice offered by somebody else is only valid under particular circumstances (which just happen to be the circumstances that are in effect here. - Coincidence? I think not!) and comes across in a patronising manner, needs to maybe be a little more careful as to who they are calling rude.

Graham, I appreciate that you have been around this forum a lot longer than myself, but please don't assume that this means other people's advice isn't as relevant as your own.

As this discussion is now off topic, I will refrain from posting anymore about it. I just hope mamafonz has managed to recover the info she needed.

Cheers & Blessings

Thanks so much for the help. Backup is sure an easy app to use! It worked just as you said.

Thanks again...

Susan Gross

Colorado Springs, CO

<www.susangrosstprs.com>

I was trying to "fix" something in Safari last night. (Don't ask, I finally figured it out! Too late, though...) I thought perhaps it would help if I reset Safari. So I did.

Well, that means that I lost all of my membernames and passwords for everywhere on the whole web. Yeah, YOU knew that. *I* on the other hand thought it would reset the toolbar (what I was trying to fix... stop laughing RIGHT NOW!! I am so embarrassed.)

So anyway. I have Backup on my computer and it does its thing all of the time. So there is a back up of Home folder on an external. There is a backup of iLife on external (I don't think that's the one I want) and there is a backup of Personal Data on iDisk.

Question #1: Where do I go to find the file that contains the info I accidentally deleted in my reset of Safari?

Question #2: How do I get it from its backed-up location to the place where it will once again save my brain from trying to remember a bejillion usernames and paswords?

Thanks for your help... I know now that resetting Safari and restoring the toolbar are completely different things.

Susan Gross

Colorado Springs, CO

<www.susangrosstprs.com>

:unsure:

Do you mean Cookies?

Do you mean Cookies?

Um, might want to check this first... But when you reset Safari, I believe it changes the peference in Safari Preferences back to the defaults, which means that the Autofill section for the User names and Passwords is turned off by default. If you reenable it, it should come back.

E