Kosmos

Please recommend a printer!

I have experienced a great deal of grief in my search for a printer. My latest trouble came from an HP Photosmart C3100, which was very unpredictable and had poor quality prints. All I print are text, never photos. Please give me your recommendations for a great printer. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give.

Any printer from the apple store will see you right, but they are a bit on the expensive side. I got a Cannon Pixma iP1600 for my mum when she wanted a cheap printer and she's not had any problems with it. I can't say what the print quality is like though since I've not seen any prints from it and she's not particularly demanding. She's happy with it though.

I used to use Canon printers and I love them dearly; my good old Canon i560 produces beautiful 4x6 and 8x10 prints while use much less ink than the Epson printers. Ironically, my current printer is the Epson Rx580, which produces beautiful prints, but it consumes ink a little too fast for my budget. The reason I like this printer is its ability to print directly onto a white CD or DVD. I use this feature quite often to produce my own slideshow DVDs. If not for this, I would go with a Canon printer instead. Many Canon models allow printing directly to the disc, but you will have to buy the CD tray off eBay or the like.

Last August, I purchased my MacBook and the HP C4180 all-in-one printer. After a few days of using it, I sold it off. I don't know about HP's high end printers, but their low-ends perform poorly.

In summary, you will be happy with low-end Canon or Epson printers. If you don't care for printing DVDs, then go with the Canon; otherwise pick Epson.

I've had a couple of Epson printers, they've been decent. No issues with connectivity or anything, I just don't use a printer that much so a lot of time my ink would dry out and I would have to clean the nozzles to get a good print. If I printed a ton of stuff in short period of time I would get great results however.

roog

I've had a couple of Epson printers, they've been decent. No issues with connectivity or anything, I just don't use a printer that much so a lot of time my ink would dry out and I would have to clean the nozzles to get a good print. If I printed a ton of stuff in short period of time I would get great results however.

roog

Epsons are great for design purposes [i use a 1280], canon's are great for photography, I wouldn't recommend either for primarily text based day to day printing. Take a look at what HP offers. EDIT: duh, you had an HP. Alan is on the right track though. A cheap laser is the way to go, I would still suggest HP.

Edited by joshr

I would investigate a cheap b/w laser printer as you are only printing text. Most of the inkjet printers these days seem to be geared towards photo printing (I would suggest the HP Photosmart printer you had would be one of them). Laser printers tend to give a much sharper text print as there is less chance of the ink/toner bleeding on the paper.

Note also that the type of paper you are using will affect print quality especially so with inkjet printers.

Another vote for laser printer for text printing. My good old HP LaserJet 3015 all-in-one has been reliable for the last couple of years.

Does anyone have an opinion on the HP Photosmart C7180. I need a wireless printer if possible and am attracted to its accessory transparency scanner. Anyone have any experience with using this printer in home wireless setup? Thanks.

In My Opinion and Experience, HP Makes Crappy Printers With EXTREMELY Expensive Consumables. I Doubt You want another HP Printer.

You May want to look at a Xerox or Samsung Laser Printer. Samsung is usually more affordable than xerox.

The High-Rated Samsung ML-2510 is only $129.99.

I think the selection Will Fit Well For your "Text-only" Needs

Edited by applgeek

I have a Canon Pixma iP1600 as well and love it! Best printer I've ever had, B&W is great and can do borderless and high gloss if you have the right paper! I've gone through so many printers like HP and Compaq, this is by far the best!

I've always bought HP printers and have never felt like a "second class" citizen in the computer world. HP seems to support their products well on the Mac. And definately deserve a look.

I would also look at Canon as they also support Mac very well and make a quality printer.

The biggest thing I would consider is that some printers use separate cartridges for each color and others use one cartridge for all of the colors. I'd get the one with one per color since one rarely runs out of the colors at exactly the same time. If it comes down between Canon and HP for you, consider that Canon's ink for a single cartridge for each color is 15 mL and retails for around $11.99 US and HP's hold 3.5 mL and retail for around $10.99 US. I don't know if the HP uses the ink more conservatively, but that's quite a large difference.

In the end I think you'd be very happy with either a Cannon or HP printer. I hope that I didn't confuse you more, I just want to give you some things to think about. Good luck on your decision.

-Tom

PS David Wright just homered to tie the game so I'll get back to the forums after the game as it just got good again. Go Mets!

Please note that this guy is just printing text, not pictures. Why should he have to worry about color cartridges?

This guy should go for laser because of his text-only need, because of the low cost, low Maintenance, and Low Confusion.

As i was saying about the cheap Samsung Laser...

Edited by applgeek

Please note that this guy is just printing text, not pictures. Why should he have to worry about color cartridges?

This guy should go for laser because of his text-only need, because of the low cost, low Maintenance, and Low Confusion.

As i was saying about the cheap Samsung Laser...

Agreed, that Samsung sounds like a great recommendation. A photo printer will be slower, more expensive per page, and will have text that is not as crisp. That's why they make both photo printers and lasers.

I have experienced a great deal of grief in my search for a printer. My latest trouble came from an HP Photosmart C3100, which was very unpredictable and had poor quality prints. All I print are text, never photos. Please give me your recommendations for a great printer. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give.

I hate to say it, but I bought a Dell (yep, it was a hard decision...) for my lab at the beginning of last school year to replace a Xerox Phaser (which I highly recommend staying away from). It has been a great printer. I want to say it is a 3100nt or something like that. A tremendous improvement from the Phaser.

I have had Brother laser printers for years (always using the low end models). They are durable, reliable and inexpensive to run. My parents bought a Samsung laser and it too has done very well. In my experience laser printers are quieter, faster and less expensive to run than inkjets (plus you don't have to worry about pages smudging if they get wet).

Here is a link to University of Nevada site comparing the costs of using an inkjet vs. laser printer including original purchase prices.