Sign in to follow this  
Ignoracious

Cleaning your keyboard

I have another tip for cleaning your keys and keyboard. Put tap water in a clean glass (actually, distilled water is better) and use cotton swabs to clean the keys and keyboard. Soak the cotton swab in the water, remove the excess water from the swab by tapping it on the rim of the glass. Now carefully rub over the keys, making sure no water dropplets are formed by pressing too hard on the plastic surface. Immediately go over it with a dry cotton swab. Repeat until the keys and keyboard are clean. Don't try to remove everything with one stroke, but use several gentle strokes with a wet and dry swab.

This procedure doesn't remove material from underneath the keys, both it is more thorough than just using a damp cloth.

I'm curious if other people have tips how to clean your keyboard, besides compressed air, a damp cloth and tilting your keyboard to get the crumbs out.

In addition:

• Before cleaning with water, use an air can to blow dirt and debris off the keyboard; a vacuum cleaner will also do.
  • It helps if you can turn off the computer while cleaning. That way, you do not inadvertently press any key.

I clean mine about once per month but have found that pre-care is the best route to take.

Don't eat over it.

Don't drink over it.

Dont smoke over it.

Wash them minging hands ;-)

Have a box of tissues at hand, for your nose of course!

Failing that get a black keyboard and only bring the white one out for aesthetics lol

Edited by zionlion

Don't eat over it.

Don't drink over it.

Dont smoke over it.

Wash them minging hands ;-)

Have a box of tissues at hand, for your nose of course!

Yes, and keep it in a clean room ;) My computer is part of my life and has to endure life's hardships, including all disgusting details.

Well I guess the new keyboards Apple released on 7th august are so much easier to clean

Well I guess the new keyboards Apple released on 7th august are so much easier to clean

You sure? I mean, did you read that anywhere? I used to pry the keys off of my computer daily, and didn't have any issue getting them to work correctly once put back, however my Macbook keyboard, which looks a lot like the new iMac's is darn near impossible to clean. the keys on that really don't pop back on easily. In fact, the keyboard I'm using to type this right now has been naked between 5 and 10 times an no ill results.

I do like the fact that there is no clear plastic to see all the grime though, my biggest gripe with apple's keyboards.

-Tom

Sign in to follow this