GeoScoes

We have a wireless internet conundrum (who doesn't).

I have a new Airport Extreme Base-station (n-standard) in our basement. I bought this after frustrations with linksys and belkin routers as far as distance from router connection is concerned. My issue is not speed. Specifically, I have the router in the finished basement with my "precious" iMac Intel which is ethernet hardwired to the base-station. The PROBLEM is getting a wireless connection with my daughter's iMac G4 on the 2nd floor.

This makes the problem interesting (from system profiler):

iMac Power PC G4 (3.3)

CPU 1 GHz\Mem 768 MB

iBook G4 Power PC (1.5)

CPU 1.42 GHz\Mem 1.5 GB

Both of the above computers have the following wireless specs:

Airport Extreme Card

Firmware 405.1(3.90.34.0.p18)

Channel 1

The iBook shown above picks up the connection perfectly well in my daughter's room with a full signal level indicator but the iMac does not connect- the signal indicator is almost zero. The iMac when moved to the first floor is fine.

The way I see it one solution might be to move the router to the first floor and take my "precious" off of hardwire connection and go wireless and experience a speed drop.

If I have no other choice, I would prefer to throw a "few bucks" at the problem and keep my "precious" blazing. Does anyone have any other ideas? Can I buy something to extend the Airport signal further? An antenna for the Power PC iMac? Could the iMac's Airport Extreme Card be bad? Is there such a thing as an wireless n-card that plugs into a UBS port?

Thanks for any suggestions.

:blink:

I have a new Airport Extreme Base-station (n-standard) in our basement. I bought this after frustrations with linksys and belkin routers as far as distance from router connection is concerned. My issue is not speed. Specifically, I have the router in the finished basement with my "precious" iMac Intel which is ethernet hardwired to the base-station. The PROBLEM is getting a wireless connection with my daughter's iMac G4 on the 2nd floor.

This makes the problem interesting (from system profiler):

iMac Power PC G4 (3.3)

CPU 1 GHz\Mem 768 MB

iBook G4 Power PC (1.5)

CPU 1.42 GHz\Mem 1.5 GB

Both of the above computers have the following wireless specs:

Airport Extreme Card

Firmware 405.1(3.90.34.0.p18)

Channel 1

The iBook shown above picks up the connection perfectly well in my daughter's room with a full signal level indicator but the iMac does not connect- the signal indicator is almost zero. The iMac when moved to the first floor is fine.

The way I see it one solution might be to move the router to the first floor and take my "precious" off of hardwire connection and go wireless and experience a speed drop.

If I have no other choice, I would prefer to throw a "few bucks" at the problem and keep my "precious" blazing. Does anyone have any other ideas? Can I buy something to extend the Airport signal further? An antenna for the Power PC iMac? Could the iMac's Airport Extreme Card be bad? Is there such a thing as an wireless n-card that plugs into a UBS port?

Thanks for any suggestions.

:blink:

One thing you could try is updating the firmware in the router. I have seen it several times where a computer would not get a signal, yet updating the firmware on the router fixes the issue.

Secondly, why not use the intel IMac on the Wireless, get the N Enabler ($1.99) from apple, and boom.... it works beautifully wirelessly...

Or you could try buying a second airport extreme and bridging them together.... and maybe just run a cat6 cable between the basement and your daughter's room.

Just my thoughts...

I would move the router, and here's why. Your Intel iMac wouldn't (at least shouldn't) experience a speed drop over wireless. Wireless G is rated at 54 Mbps, while getting this speed is nearly impossible, it should still get a connection speed greater than that of your broadband, unless you get super fast broadband such as fiber. So as long as your iMac gets decent connection there will be no slowdown. Also, don't worry about getting the N enabler for your iMac. First, having any 802.11g computer on your 802.11n router forces everyone to use g, so unless you get n adapters for your other computers it's not going to make any difference. Second, the ethernet ports on that router are megabit (100 Mbps) and are slower than 802.11n's speeds. Pretty much what I'm saying boils down to this. G is faster than your internet connection so going wireless on your iMac shouldn't make any difference. Unless all of your computers are running N there is no reason to get the n enabler since the g computers being on the network make everything run at g speeds. Connecting with N is faster than connecting with wires, but is still faster than your internet, and even if it wasn't, it's still faster than the port on the back of the router connecting to the internet. It's a bit late here and I just watched the National League loose the All Star game, so I apologize for the confusion factor. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have to make up for how confusing I've been.

-Tom

IF you still have problems getting all of the computers connected after moving the airport extreme get yourself an airport express to use as a bridge. It has some nice extra features, doesn't cost that much, and will extend your wireless wherever you need. Like spork said it doesn't matter that it's G since your whole network is G even though you have an N router.

Re the N enabler: It comes for free with the AirPort Extreme base station, so there's definitely no need to buy it. Just pop the CD in and install it.

Re the N enabler: It comes for free with the AirPort Extreme base station, so there's definitely no need to buy it. Just pop the CD in and install it.

Oh, well if it's free then do it. It won't help in your situation, but you can't beat free.

-Tom