Rich

IT Help Desk software

Dear All

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me, I run a very small IT support company (it's just me) and would like to find an application which will let me log a "Support Request" to a customer.

For example .... Mr Smith calls and would like to know if I can install him a router, I would therefore create a new "Support Request" and add any notes ie. Quoted Price at £20, Ordered Router, visited customer and installed. Router login details are XXXXX etc ..

Once the call has been completed I would like to then close it. Therefore in the future if Mr Smith calls again I would be able to pull up on the screen (or printed report) a list of any jobs that I have done for him. I might also like to be able to either run a report for a wider range of customer, for example .... show me a list of any jobs that I have started within the last month or show me any jobs which include installing routers in the last xx months, or any Support Requests which are still open.

Thanks again

Richard

Steve

Is this something I can ask on the Maccast?

Leave adam a voicemail, if he thinks it's appropriate he'll play it. Have you thought about invoicing software? That might do what you need.

The company I work for uses a Filemaker Pro database for that. We run a Filemaker server at the office that we can connect to, but most of the work done by field techs is on a database stored on our laptops. That database then syncs tech notes and billing info back to the central server.

Thanks guys ...

I'm more interested in the Help Desk area of checking what work I have done for the customer, as I normally quote my jobs on a fixed rate and at this time am not so intested in the time taken!

The Filemaker database app sounds like the option I'm looking for :( We use a web based suitable in the "day" job from a company called LBE ... http://www.lbehelpdesk.com/

But its Windows only :(

Does it use Active X? If not, then it should work very happily in firefox, if not safari.

It uses Active Server, I was hoping for something more Mac like :)

Oh, also Apple Remote Desktop has the ability to track IT related tasks either on its own or through a central task server. I've never messed with it personally though. It seems like it's more suited to use in an internal IT department, not tracking tasks for numerous clients as an outside consultant.