Sign in to follow this  
MyJRNY

Transferring files from PC to iMac

Where can I find (I'm running Windows XP on the PC) the PC network address. While I am waiting to get the new iMac connected to the internet (see previous post, especially if you can help), I'd like to kill time by bringing over my old files, Outlook info, and installing software. I am assuming that the pc network address is somewhere here on the old pc.... I just can't figure out where.

Thanks!!!

I'm glad that you're running XP as it is much easier to find the IP on XP than older versions of Windows. Go to Control Panel under the start menu and get the thing in Classic View instead of Category view, there's a toggle link over to the left. Then open the network connections control panel. Next double click on the network connection you're concerned with, wired or wireless. The switch over the the support tab from the General tab that it defaults to when you open it. This lists the IP address as well as other networking type stuff. I hope that this is what you needed, if not just repost and I'll do what I can.

-Tom

I'm glad that you're running XP as it is much easier to find the IP on XP than older versions of Windows. Go to Control Panel under the start menu and get the thing in Classic View instead of Category view, there's a toggle link over to the left. Then open the network connections control panel. Next double click on the network connection you're concerned with, wired or wireless. The switch over the the support tab from the General tab that it defaults to when you open it. This lists the IP address as well as other networking type stuff. I hope that this is what you needed, if not just repost and I'll do what I can.

-Tom

I easily found the IP address, but I'm looking for something called a "ShareName." Ideas?

in my experience, my macs and pcs have networked together with little or no setup. make sure that in your mac's system preferences>sharing, the "windows sharing" option is checked. then also make sure you have file sharing enabled on your pc. then just go to "network" in the mac finder and connect to the pc.

That auto-discovery in the Finder works sometimes, and sometimes not. If you know the IP of the machine you're looking for, it's more reliable to just punch it into the Go -> Connect to Server dialog. The syntax you want is smb://###.###.###.### (SMB is the Windows file sharing protocol).