designboy

To Laptop Or Not To Laptop

Just wanting some feedback.

I have thought about getting a Macbook, Macbook Pro, Powerbook, etc.

If I get one, which one should I get? If I get one, how would I use it or what would I do with a laptop?

Here's my current set up:

I have a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8. 2 gb RAM. Runs good, no problems. Get's daily use, 2 internal HD, 2 external. 2 for data, 2 for backup.

I am a photographer and graphic artist. I have a CafePress shop, I do a small amount of both freelance photography and graphics. I thought about using a DVD player for viewing photos on the fly while out shooting photos. I would rather have a laptop so I could just copy them directly. Besides that, what else would I do with the laptop? When I travel (rare) I wish I had a laptop to stay in touch with all my online duties. (blog, cafepress, forums, flickr, site stats, podcasts, etc.)

Bottom line: which laptop and what uses. Just want ideas and feedback. If I bought new I could get the Apple Credit loan or whatever it's called. If I buy used I would have to save up for a while.

Thanks

:)

I am also a photographer/designer and I find that I get a lot more done, faster, since I switched to a laptop. I can work whenever I want wherever I want so I do. The laptop I would say you want is a 15" macbook pro. The macbook screen is just to small and the 17" isn't portable enough. As far as what you do with it mostly you will just replace your current machine with something portable. The only thing I can think of you might specifically do with it that you didn't previously do [aside from work on the couch or wherever] is shoot tethered. It's really nice shooting tethered and if possible I would suggest doing so whenever practical.

For now I would wait on buying anything though. The longer you wait the better computer you get for the money. Since your system now is currently fine stick with it and just save up. When the time comes buy a refurbished machine direct from apple.

Wow what a large question you have asked!! Well lets talk about the laptop in general, if you are doing graphics work then you really need a model with an independant graphics cards which currently is only the macbook pro (macbook has an intergrated intel GPU) as when doing graphics intensive processes (editing large photos, movies,games etc) you will really feel the benefit of having a GPU with its own memory, so if you got a macbook pro it would definately be faster than your current powermac so you could use it to do your photo editing, but if you were just going to use the laptop for light work (internet, music etc) then any of the macbooks would be great, but only you know what you will use it for? If you were to buy a "new" one from apple instead i would suggest getting one from the apple refurb store (that is if you dont want the credit thing) as they have been rigorously checked by apple to ensure they work perfectly and come with the normal 1 year warranty so they are basicly the same but you save a couple of hundred punds (or dollars).

Tom

Edited by tom203

They you both for the info and feedback.

By the way my current Mac is a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8 not an iMac.

Thank You.

My recommendation in most cases is the white Macbook with the Superdrive. In your case though, you will want the screen and graphics on the MacBook Pro.

15" MacBook Pro is the answer. If you're a photographer, you may find that some software won't run or run well on a MacBook - eg Aperature

Some great advice above, the MBP is eveything you will need but with one flaw "15' screen real est.) this is gonna drive you mad when working with any editing suit. I would price in "if you have not already got one" a monitor, 20' min Res 1680x1050, digital with a DVI input. As for the "buy now or wait" depends on how fast you need it and could you get by until October and seriously consider the Apple Refurbs.

However if I was you I would look at the hardware I already had and as you dont travel do you really need a MBP, could you justify tying yourself into a lengthy finance commitment when chances are the machine you are still going to be paying for 12 months down the line will be outdated.

I say save them pennies and wait for a couple of months :-)

Addition: I would discount the tethered shoots unless you are in a studio, I have tried on a couple of accessions to shoot whilst attached to my MBP and its a recipe for disaster, do you really want to advertise your hardware on the street and have you ever un-mounted a camera and walked away with it only to take your attached hardware for walkies, (Bounce Bounce Smash), have seen this done and tears are spilled ;-)

Edited by zionlion

Some great advice above, the MBP is eveything you will need but with one flaw "15' screen real est.) this is gonna drive you mad when working with any editing suit. I would price in "if you have not already got one" a monitor, 20' min Res 1680x1050, digital with a DVI input. As for the "buy now or wait" depends on how fast you need it and could you get by until October and seriously consider the Apple Refurbs.

However if I was you I would look at the hardware I already had and as you dont travel do you really need a MBP, could you justify tying yourself into a lengthy finance commitment when chances are the machine you are still going to be paying for 12 months down the line will be outdated.

I say save them pennies and wait for a couple of months :-)

Addition: I would discount the tethered shoots unless you are in a studio, I have tried on a couple of accessions to shoot whilst attached to my MBP and its a recipe for disaster, do you really want to advertise your hardware on the street and have you ever un-mounted a camera and walked away with it only to take your attached hardware for walkies, (Bounce Bounce Smash), have seen this done and tears are spilled ;-)

Also good advice. Thank You.

I have not thought about it too seriously lately. I almost bought one last weekend on credit. I did finance my G5 PowerMac when I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago. I am really happy about it's performance thus far. It still runs really well. I agree with the thought that I would still be paying for it when it is outdated. As for my G5 it is outdated but still supported. Maybe I'll save and look for a used one somewhere. It doesn't have to be a fast and robust machine for what I want to use it for. It wouldn't be my primary computer anyway. So maybe I get a used one for cheap and then sometime, if I have to, finance a new MacPro for the house.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Street shooting isn't a situation where tethered is going to work. For studio though it's almost necessary if your doing big shoots and it is very nice on location, especially if you do it wirelessly.