thenome

Educational Discounts for High Schoolers

I am a going to be a Sophomore in High School this fall and would also like to purchase a new mac, when Leopard comes out. I was wondering if I would qualify for any educational discounts for High Schoolers. Just wondering if anybody knew, couldn't find anything about it on apple.com for high schoolers. Thanks one and all, I love the Maccast community.

I am a going to be a Sophomore in High School this fall and would also like to purchase a new mac, when Leopard comes out. I was wondering if I would qualify for any educational discounts for High Schoolers. Just wondering if anybody knew, couldn't find anything about it on apple.com for high schoolers. Thanks one and all, I love the Maccast community.

Pretty sure you do get to use the educational discount.

I guess I would just have to order by phone to get them, right?

I guess I would just have to order by phone to get them, right?

You can walk into the apple store if you want. You just have to go in with a student ID I think. If you don't have an ID just ask them what you need.

I used my educational disount on the education apple store online, here is the link to the site

I used my educational disount on the education apple store online, here is the link to the site

The only issue with this is it isn't for high school students. I spoke with the guy at the Apple store and he said that they do check the billing address with the college you select. I don't know if that's true or if he was trying to discourage me from cheating the system, but either way, I'd avoid being dishonest.

-Tom

They don't check in the UK. I just asked my mum (she used to work in the office at a high school) and they never got any calls from apple about student discounts - even when I got my mac.

The only issue with this is it isn't for high school students. I spoke with the guy at the Apple store and he said that they do check the billing address with the college you select. I don't know if that's true or if he was trying to discourage me from cheating the system, but either way, I'd avoid being dishonest.

-Tom

They don't do any kind of check. I have bought from the educational store and although I do have a valid college ID there would be no way of verifying that via an address check.

In my experience (involved in purchasing 3 apple laptops and 1 desktop in the last 2 years) Apple is very liberal with this policy. The 3 laptops purchased over the phone were all done with an educational discount. On two occasions the Apple rep asked me if I had "any" (his word) academic connections so he could get me the education discount. They were even willing to accept my mother's "1 month adult continuing education courses" as a qualifier for the discount. The only time we paid full price was when my parents went to an authorized dealer who said they could not offer such a thing.

I think if one Apple rep refuses you then just cancel that sale and call again another time to talk to another rep. In my mind a high school student is just as much a "student" as a university enrollee.

Thanks for the tips. I have heard such stories as these before. I think the bottum line is apple just wants to sell macs, and even with a discount they are still making a healthy profit.

Hope to have some new mac once leopard leaps into action.