Sign in to follow this  
boho2112

What's after the Santa Rosa Chipset??

I'm about to get my 1st Intel Line of Mac, a MacBook Pro 15". Does anyone know what the next revision is from Intel/Apple? Is it worth waiting for that new line or just get one of these new Santa Rosa machines?

Cheers,

Dano

From all of the rumors that I have read it sounds like the next Apple machines to get a rev are going to be the iMacs, so if you want to get a MacBook Pro you should be safe to buy now. Also I have heard nothing of the "next big thing" from Intel. The next big thing in the processor world should be AMD's new chips whenever they come out. They are supposed to blow the pants off the Core 2 line, however, the pre production versions only slightly out do the Core 2 line, which is better than getting owned by Intel as AMD is currently. I doubt this will affect the Mac community since Apple seems content sticking with Intel if for no other reason than they are sick of having processor shortages as they did in the PPC days, but who knows.

-Tom

From what I've heard, the AMD chips that are coming out won't be here until the end of the year. I expect Intel to have something new out by then to be honest. But yeah, you'll be safe with getting an MBP now.

From what I've heard, the AMD chips that are coming out won't be here until the end of the year. I expect Intel to have something new out by then to be honest. But yeah, you'll be safe with getting an MBP now.

You really expect Intel to come out with something by then? I'd be very excited, but Santa Rosa just came out, and the dev cycles on these things are usually pretty long. I guess Santa Rosa was just a rev of a current line while the AMD stuff is supposed to be an entirely new line... I hope you're right though. Now that Macs are using Intel, I've never wanted them to succeed more. I used to be an AMD guy, and with good right since the Athlon more than owned the Celeron, the Pentium 4 and even the Pentium D in just about every imaginable category.

-Tom