Sign in to follow this  
groomsy57

Macbook Pro Hard Drive Replacement

This isn't really a question or anything, just an experience I thought I would share with everyone here at the Maccast forums. Moderators: sorry if this is in the wrong area, feel free to move it. I didn't know if it was "Tips & Tricks" or if it would go in "Hardware Stuff". Anyways, I had a really great experience switching out my hard drive for a larger one on my 1st gen Macbook Pro. Essentially, using the ifixit.com guide to taking apart the Macbook Pro, I was able to switch out my hard drive. I used SuperDuper! to make a carbon copy of my current hard drive to my new one, then swapped out the drives and booted up. Overall a great experience. For more detail and some pictures, I have posted it on my site: http://www.toddgrooms.com.

I just thought I would share this, because when I decided to do this, I wasn't able to find a lot of people who talked about their experience, so I was hoping to instill confidence in some of the do-it-yourselfers out there who might be a little nervous about this operation. Hope you guys find this useful, thanks. Also, if you guys have any suggestions to add to my process, possibly to enlighten others for future reference, please let me know. I'd love to help out anyone so they can save some money by not taking their machine to a computer repair shop and doing it themselves. Thanks.

Good stuff man! you have just given me the courage to do mine, although my mbp is out of warranty (i wish it wasnt!) How long did it take you to do this total, from old HD out to new HD in?

Good stuff man! you have just given me the courage to do mine, although my mbp is out of warranty (i wish it wasnt!) How long did it take you to do this total, from old HD out to new HD in?

Good to hear I encouraged someone! If you include all my backups, roughly 4-5 hours. But that is with 2 backups. The actual time from taking apart my computer to putting it back together... I'd say roughly 30-45 minutes. It probably can be done quicker, but I was trying to be as tedious as possible. My words of advice: make sure you have all the screws out before trying to take the top keyboard area off (I believe Alex Lindsay recently talked about breaking tabs off of his by missing a screw on a Macbreak Weekly) and to be careful of the ribbon cables (only 2 that you really mess with: you have to disconnect the one from the trackpad/keyboard hookup on that top keyboard area you take off and one that runs over the top of the hard drive). That guide on ifixit.com was great. If you have any questions, just ask them and I'll try to help you out.