Sign in to follow this  
free-dawg

Locking iPOD With Password

Does anyone have a method or tool that will place a passowrd on the iPOD in order to prevent access by strangers to music/contacts/photos/data/etc. if the iPOD is lost or stolen?

My wife almost lost her iPOD last week and we were very concerned about strangers having access to some of the content she had downloaded to it. Without a password, the iPOD music and data are open to anyone.

Any leads/ideas on better protecting the iPOD when it is away from the computer would be most appreciated...

:?:

Well viewing the contacts and other information is easy to view from the iPod. Now proctecting that would be hard because how would you lock it. It would be hard to protect. Well that is what I think. I don't think that it is possible to lock the contacts and other information. Well lets see what other members like.

It you be a bit hard putting in a password on the click wheel! :)

I suppose there's no way of doing it. yet.

Not really, if Apple would make a password protection system you could use the wheel to scroll through letters very easily. They could also make your password a button combination, such as "menu menu play forward play reverse" etc.

Fair point. It could work very well if a combination or password was required to view contacts or notes etc. (but wouldn't be very popular if required everytime it was switched on! - not that I'm suggesting they'd do that!)

A proper password could also be implemented when mounting on a computer to stop people accessing files, though there may be ways of doing this already; I do not know myself. (don't know much about passwords and stuff).

Exuse my ignorance! :oops:

Not really, if Apple would make a password protection system you could use the wheel to scroll through letters very easily. They could also make your password a button combination, such as "menu menu play forward play reverse" etc.

Yea, I could see it now... use the scrollwheel as a combination scroll on a padlock. What was that combination again?

3 times to the right to 5

Left one full turn past the above number to 13

Right to 8

Click the center button

:D

Why can't you get a Mac? I just hate to hear about PC suffers who can't get the Mac medicine they need for living a blissfully productive technology lifestyle....

:lol:

What would you need to protect? If some hacker really wants your information, hes going to find a way to get inside to it. But if its just for like a family member, a good idea would be to use the menu, forward, backward, and play/pause labels as markers for a combination lock.

(ex. menu - play - forward) Although it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.