riddle14

Audio Tape to Digital File Software?

I have a question for anybody out there. I have a couple of audio books on tape and I would like to convert them to a digital files so I can play them on my iPod. Does anyone know of some good software to use? Could I just use GarageBand? Would the quality be good just using the line in port on my MacBook Pro and a tape player? I would really like to be able to just start the tape and forget about it until I had to flip the tape over or whenever I came back to the laptop. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Depending on the length you need to record GarageBand will pull this off nicely. i know there is a time limit for what you can record on GarageBand, but not how long that is. When i've convereted analog tapes to digital i've used an application called Cubase (i believe there is a free version). i imagine Audacity will also be able to do this, and i know that's freeware.

The line-in jack on your MBP will work fine. Just be sure to adjust the levels on both the headphone out of the tape deck, and the line-in volume before you record for real. This will greatly improve the quality of the recording.

Once you have the files saved you can use the built in tools to remove the "hiss", and bring out the voice better. A great plug-in that works on both GarageBand and Cubase is Soundsoap. Soundsoap is great because it is adjustable to "learn" what the noise is and remove it without harming the voices.

Garageband works very well for recording... if you want a way to clean up the static from the audio for free, Audacity has an option for noise removal.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Also for the best results you will want to not use the line in port (allthough it does work if you get a RCA to 1/8 cable) I suggest you try one of these two devices to get the audio into your computer...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA1EX/

This may seem like a silly question but is it best to set the volume levels for the headphone out and line-in to a particular level? i.e. can it make a difference to the quality of the recording? Thanks

To record ANY sound on your MAC use a tool like Audio Hijack Pro. All you need is a (any) source of sound and hijack can turn it intoa digitized sound file.

HTH

Rob