KRosenberg

Damaged External HD

my external hard drive recently bombed out on me, in that it would no longer mount, but i was able to recover the files i needed from the drive. if i were to reset this drive and format it, would i be able to sucessfully use it again, or is the drive gone for good? i have tried repairing and rebuilding the drive using DriveGenius, but nothing seems to work.

my external hard drive recently bombed out on me, in that it would no longer mount, but i was able to recover the files i needed from the drive. if i were to reset this drive and format it, would i be able to sucessfully use it again, or is the drive gone for good? i have tried repairing and rebuilding the drive using DriveGenius, but nothing seems to work.

Have you tried putting the drive into a new external enclosure? I've heard of people having trouble mounting an external hard drive only to find out that the drive is good and that the external enclosure's connections are bad. If you can, try this. If this doesn't work, I wouldn't suggest using the drive again if it is bad, even if reformatting would fix it (temporarily). Usually when you see trouble like this, and it is the drive, it's best to move on and find a new drive. Why put all your trust into something you know has failed once?

+1

If there is ever doubt that something may lose all your data - REPLACE IT!!!!!

It may just be that the directory is corrupted. Recently, I had a drive give me some problems that Drive Genius couldn't fix but Disk Warrior did.

I, too, would probably buy another drive, but, if rebuilding the directory works, you could use that one just for backups. Not mounting doesn't necessarily mean there's a hardware problem.

Format it and it should work again just fine but I would suggest replacing it for piece of mind.

How old is the drive? You May be able to get a replacement if it is under a warranty. If you are unsure, you can usually check with the manufacturer at their website to see if it is still under warranty.

What Brand Is the Drive? How big is it? What is the spindle speed?

If you dont have any warranty time left, then im guessing the drive is probably to old or small to be worth saving (with the risk of it having hardware issues.) These days you can easily get a 500 gig drive for 150 bucks.