desertrose0601

Tiger on a g3?

I recently bought a white g3 (600 mHz, 256 mB, 20 GB) refurbished ibook on eBay, which came with Panther installed on it. I was wondering what the easiest way to install Tiger on it would be, since it does not have a DVD drive. I was considering buying an external DVD drive, but every one that I've looked at says that it only works with a g4 or later. Am I going about this the wrong way? Maybe there are CD versions of Tiger that I could buy somewhere?

I recently bought a white g3 (600 mHz, 256 mB, 20 GB) refurbished ibook on eBay, which came with Panther installed on it. I was wondering what the easiest way to install Tiger on it would be, since it does not have a DVD drive. I was considering buying an external DVD drive, but every one that I've looked at says that it only works with a g4 or later. Am I going about this the wrong way? Maybe there are CD versions of Tiger that I could buy somewhere?

I thought they made an alternate install of Tiger on CD's, but I'm not entirely sure. Does your iBook have firewire ports? those are required for Tiger to be installed to, however I think there is a firmware patch you can download that makes your computer to appear to have firewire. Just something I remembered from installing Tiger on an old iMac G3 but I don't know if the iBook G3's have firewire or not. Hopefully someone with a little more insight could help out.

Hi desertrose, yep Tiger can be installed on it and yep, there was a version put out on CDs. How easy it is to get a set I don't know.

Another way of installing it is to boot the iBook into Target mode (hold down the 'T' key when booting) and then connecting it via firewire to a machine with a DVD drive. (this method assumes you have access to a machine with a DVD drive and that you have a firewire cable). Run the installer on the machine that has the DVD drive and when it gets to the part where you choose your installation disk, make sure you choose the iBooks one).

There are other ways but that is probably the simplest.

BTW I am running Tiger on both my G3 800MHz iBook and my G3 350MHz iMac (with no firewire port or DVD drive). So it is definitely possible.

Hope this helps. Cheers & Blessings.

Yes, I do have firewire, although I don't have another Mac to target disc from! Bummer.

Anyway, I heard that Apple can take back your DVD version and send you a CD version instead, but then in the fine print it says that this offer is already expired! Bummer!! I wonder if there is a way to create my own CD version if I bought the DVD? Or perhaps I should just look on eBay for the CD? The thing is that I'm worried about getting the wrong version for my computer. (This may just be a leftover fear from my recently departed Windows days, but I would hate to buy something and then not have my computer recognize it).

So, does anyone know, will it even boot off an external firewire drive? Or are the ads true in saying that a g3 won't support these drives? To me, that seems to be the easiest way to get around my no-dvd problem, but of course that won't work if my computer won't support this. I was looking at something like this perhaps, although in the fine print it does say "g4 or later". Is this really true? Are there are DVD drives that my g3 would support?

Also, just out of random curiousity, why is my picture not showing up in this forum?

Also, just out of random curiousity, why is my picture not showing up in this forum?

There are two pictures. A personal picture and an avatar. The avatar shows up in forum posts, so just upload a picture for your avatar and it should sow up for your forum posts. For the rest of your questions, I'll let someone with a bit more experience answer.

I have found a site that sells the old combo drives specifically for g3's. I think this will work for me! Thanks everyone for all your help.

I have found a site that sells the old combo drives specifically for g3's. I think this will work for me! Thanks everyone for all your help.

Wow! That place is kinda high for those kinds of drives, I bought one for my Flower Power iMac G3 on eBay for about $28.

roog

You're right! That site is priced kind of high. Luckily, I found a g3 Super Drive on eBay today for $80, so I went ahead and got that one instead. Glad I shopped around before purchasing! Hopefully it won't be too hard to install. I found some install guides on ifixit.com, so that should help.

Edited by desertrose0601