sincitymedic

USB hub question

I recently bought a D-link Dub-H7 (7-port USB hub). It plugs into a wall outlet (electricity, so it can function independently or powered by another USB device). When I plug it in, however, all it does is flash at me & my MBP will not recognize anything connected to it. To add to this, when I unplug the power adapter from the hub, the lights remain lit, now steady; still, the MBP does not recognize anything connected to it. What's even more strange is that it worked fine 2 days ago (in self-powered mode)......I got a new desk & moved some stuff around & since I cannot get it to work (did not drop it or bang it around, as far as I can tell). Is there some nuance to running a USB hub w/ the MBP? Is there a way to get it working w/ the power adapter, instead of self-powered mode (power from another USB device)?

I called D-link......that was a mistake. I am not sure that dude knew what a USB port was.

I don't know about the MacBook Pro, but I bought my USB hubs from Belkin and never had problems with them. I guess they're a bit more expensive than D-Link's, but at least Belkin makes quality products.

just to make sure, you did plug the cable that came with it, into the back (that's usually where it is) of the USB Hub, correct? It could be a faulty unit as well... I generally don't mind D-link products.... I bought an ultra powered USB hub, and have had no problems with mine.

As long as Webguy's comment doesn't solve the problem it sounds like you may have gotten a bum unit. I've always steered away from d-link's products as they often have little or no Mac support. Also what support they do have tends to suck. I've had better luck with store brands of hubs. Also I've gotta second Ignoracious's recommendation about getting a Belkin product as they've yet to steer me wrong. They aren't top of the line, but they work great, and have a great price.

-Tom

You actually sound like you have a bad power adapter. But that would be classified as a bad unit. This would be a great time to dig up your receipt!

I got a D-link USB hub and I wouldn't work with my Macbook Pro, but when I plugged it into my PC it worked flawlessly. I'm really quite curious as to why this is, there isn't any technical reason that I can think of, that The USB hub would work with a PC but not a Mac...but it did.....

I got a D-link USB hub and I wouldn't work with my Macbook Pro, but when I plugged it into my PC it worked flawlessly. I'm really quite curious as to why this is, there isn't any technical reason that I can think of, that The USB hub would work with a PC but not a Mac...but it did.....

The main reason for things like this is Windows adherence (or lack there of) to standards. Not to say that Apple is flawless when it comes to sticking to standards, but Microsoft is notorious for using poor standards, as a result things can work with Windows that don't work with the Mac. Take all of those web pages that only work with Internet Explorer for an example. Most of the alternate web browsers stick very close to web standards, IE does not. Most of those IE only pages are actually coded incorrectly, making the standards adhering browsers choke while IE will render the pages. The other big reason for IE only stuff is Active X controls which have nothing to do with standards and is a topic for another day.

-Tom

Well,

I figured out that it doesn't work w/ a PC either. Now the kicker -- Buy.com won't take it back b/c it has been longer than 14d & dLink says that the retailer needs to replace it. Guess I'll look at the Belkins. I am not fond of d-Stink products, either.....but this was only $7.99 so I couldn't pass it up!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well,

I figured out that it doesn't work w/ a PC either. Now the kicker -- Buy.com won't take it back b/c it has been longer than 14d & dLink says that the retailer needs to replace it. Guess I'll look at the Belkins. I am not fond of d-Stink products, either.....but this was only $7.99 so I couldn't pass it up!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Perhaps next time we all see what appears to be a bargain and remember this story and pass up said "bargain" and buy something that costs a little more, but works.

-Tom