Sign in to follow this  
switcher98223

Compatible Memory

Yes, that will work fine. But unless you specified it, I believe that your mac came with 2 x 512 mb ram, so you will effectively only gain half a gig.

Yes, that will work fine. But unless you specified it, I believe that your mac came with 2 x 512 mb ram, so you will effectively only gain half a gig.

Thank you.

My plan was to purchase 2 for a pair running 2GB. Am I wrong on this? Do they have to be purchased in "matched pairs"???

Thank you.

My plan was to purchase 2 for a pair running 2GB. Am I wrong on this? Do they have to be purchased in "matched pairs"???

You don't HAVE to purchase in matched pairs for that type of computer. It is a good idea to buy in matched paris as there is a performance gain, but it is not necessary.

-Tom

You don't HAVE to purchase in matched pairs for that type of computer. It is a good idea to buy in matched paris as there is a performance gain, but it is not necessary.

-Tom

I'm not a big enough Geek to know if I'm using the right terminology. Please speak to me like the dummy I am. I can buy TWO of the above, remove the 2 x 512 original ram to get an increase from 1GB to 2GB, correct???

I'm not a big enough Geek to know if I'm using the right terminology. Please speak to me like the dummy I am. I can buy TWO of the above, remove the 2 x 512 original ram to get an increase from 1GB to 2GB, correct???

That would be correct. It's always suggested to buy the same size of memory (like buying 2x512 MB sticks vs. 1x1GB stick) because you get better performance this way. I have the 2x1GB sticks for 2GB of memory in my Macbook Pro, which replaced the previous 2x512MB sticks for 1GB of memory recently and I have to tell you, the performance gain was awesome. So buy away and enjoy.

That would be correct. It's always suggested to buy the same size of memory (like buying 2x512 MB sticks vs. 1x1GB stick) because you get better performance this way. I have the 2x1GB sticks for 2GB of memory in my Macbook Pro, which replaced the previous 2x512MB sticks for 1GB of memory recently and I have to tell you, the performance gain was awesome. So buy away and enjoy.

Thank you very much. I'm not totally alien to this, but wanted to be sure. I've heard that Apples can be touchy on the memory installed and I wanted to be sure before I bought. Sounds live a very good price, especially after the rebate.

Just wanted to throw this out there: I have three gig in my macbook pro (1 x 1Gb and 1x2Gb) and it performs better than with 2 x 1Gb. There is a performance hit when you don't use matched RAM, but it is outweighed by the performance gain with the extra RAM.

As to macs being touchy about the RAM they take, that's not true. As long as you use the correct specification memory, you can use whatever you want. But the crucial RAM you're getting will work well. I've always bought crucial ram.

The only models where matched pairs improve performance are the ones with the GMA950 Intel graphics. That includes the Mac mini, the Macbook, and the low end 17" iMac. Also the Mac Pro requires matched pairs (you have no choice). For the other iMacs and the MacBook Pro, it makes no difference.

The only models where matched pairs improve performance are the ones with the GMA950 Intel graphics. That includes the Mac mini, the Macbook, and the low end 17" iMac. Also the Mac Pro requires matched pairs (you have no choice). For the other iMacs and the MacBook Pro, it makes no difference.

Not only that but if you are upping your total memory by 1GB it's not like the system is going to slow down. Sure you might get a little more out of it if you go with a matched pair but the overall increase in speed is what your going to notice. Your never going to get a bunch more RAM and sit there saying, damn I feel like it could be an extra %10 faster. Just buy the RAM you need.

Thanks for the help everyone. I purchased 2GB of the above and will have to wait until after vacation to install it, but I'm looking forward to it. After I posted this question newegg was "out of stock" on the memory and the rebate expired July 20. I was concerned I would miss the deal. But they had new stock this afternoon and I jumped. Even if I only see a minor bump in performance, for what will ultimately be only a $48 upgrade, I think it was a GREAT deal.