Tom.landy

Spring clean my Library

Ok, so I have a macbook - 80gb hard drive and my library folder in /Library is a loverly 21.96GB in size

inside here is a whole load of folders that come to 1.07GB

An Application Support folder that is 14.38GB & an audio folder that is 6.51GB

My main applications are windows(paralells), Final cut express & the ilife suite

My applications are 8gb or so

what can I do to to make these more manigable? I know that soundtrack and livetype and garageband have large amounts of data with them but there must be something I can do to save space...

You can buy an external hard drive then drag the folder "Final Cut User Documents" unto an external hard drive, delete the old folder, then point FC to the new folder location (look in its preferences to do this). Also if you are very brave (not recommended) you can install all of your ilife and Final Cut on an external hard drive.

Good luck, I feel your pain on my 80gb hard drive as well.

Edited by thenome

I would do a complete reinstall of everything. Backup your data to an external and then move the data back after. When you do the install you can custom install OSX so that it doesn't include anything you don't need. This will also clear up all of the orphaned library stuff. I might be inclined to wait for leopard though and just do it then.

the worst part guys is I have done a custom install, albeit 3 months ago, with no languages or printer drivers and I've monolingualed my macbook to bits!

my folder is just unimaginable!

the worst part guys is I have done a custom install, albeit 3 months ago, with no languages or printer drivers and I've monolingualed my macbook to bits!

my folder is just unimaginable!

If you haven't already, I would recommend trying an app called XSlimmer. It slims down everything except system files - making them multi-lingual, etc. Basically getting rid of all the stuff in the file that you don't actually need to run the program. I've saved a lot of room using this software - and it's free!

Edited by desertrose0601

I saved 3gb when I did a clean install. I'd already done a custom install, it was just preferences from apps I don't use any more. I backed up my system to an external drive and then did migration assistant bringing over only my home folder. I then manually re-installed my software. It took me about 3 hours all together and made my computer much snappier. Cut the boot time in half at least.

I saved 3gb when I did a clean install. I'd already done a custom install, it was just preferences from apps I don't use any more. I backed up my system to an external drive and then did migration assistant bringing over only my home folder. I then manually re-installed my software. It took me about 3 hours all together and made my computer much snappier. Cut the boot time in half at least.

So you can safely use migration assistant to move your settings back without bring the same old extra crud? Last time I did a clean install because I was worried it would just move the same old junk back.

It depends on what you define as crud. The library folder in your user folder is moved back, but the one in the root of the drive (which is what I expect slows everything down so much) is wiped out. Since I only move my user accounts back, anything out of the users folder is blitzed.

Hi guys,

I have a similar question to Tom so I thought I might add a post to this thread. Actually I went through this before simply trying to delete things that weren't necessary, and got pretty screwed up. I did an archive and install, which was successful, but after a while I'm back in pretty much the same position I was before.

Only this time I'm looking at JDisk Report trying to figure out where the space has gone, and there are two things there that I don't know what to do about. First is inside /Library/Logs/Console is a file called "console.log.1" - and according to JDisk the file size is 9.9 GB.

WHAT IS THAT? and why on earth is it taking up 9.9 GB. In the list of the top 50 files - it's by far the single biggest file on my HD. The next largest is 1.8 GB, the database I use in my research.

The other thing is the archived "previous system" takes up another 9 GB. So nearly 20 GB of my 80 GB HD are taken up in these two things.

I feel pretty sure its ok to delete the previous system. But I thought I'd ask here first. Everything is running fine. But what about this "console.log.1" file? I searched in the Apple Support page, and couldn't find anything about console logs or console.log.1 or anything.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gwen

I found this:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-42338.html

Looks like adobe reader causes the huge log files. Yet another reason not to use it! And if your current system is working fine, then its ok to delete your previous system. It just stays there incase something goes wrong when it's restoring.