Sign in to follow this  
Macs Rule They're so cool

Going to Europe

Hi,

I'm goin' to Europe and I was wondering what should I bring.....any tips? I have a power adapter to switch from US power to UK and EU. Anything Else? I know I have to turn of Wi-fi and Bluetooth on the plane on my MacBook Pro....... Any help would be appreciated!

I only hope that brin' my computer, tech etc. doesn't distract me from all the beauty that Europe has to offer.....cough, women...cough :lol:

Seriously though, this is a trip that I have been looking forward to for along time, so any suggestions, experiences, or anything else you think that I should of been aware of would be appreciated.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also any tips for what to do on the 6-7 hour flight to England would be appreciated. What do you do on long flights? Usually I wonder why they couldn't get better attendants! If I was to bring my MacBook Pro I would just get ticked at Lightroom and Photoshop for crashing (CS3 is stable...really I haven't noticed!) Wi-Fi isn't really to "fly" (sorry about the pun) at 35,000ft. so.....

I try and listen to my ipod on flights but earbuds don't really cut it....I'm probably going to just cough up the cash for a pair of Noise Cancelling Headphone, suggestions?

Also, how bright should my screen be before it sucking to much Electricity?

Edited by Macs Rule They're so cool

Hi,

I'm goin' to Europe and I was wondering what should I bring.....any tips? I have a power adapter to switch from US power to UK and EU. Anything Else? I know I have to turn of Wi-fi and Bluetooth on the plane on my MacBook Pro....... Any help would be appreciated!

I only hope that brin' my computer, tech etc. doesn't distract me from all the beauty that Europe has to offer.....cough, women...cough :lol:

Seriously though, this is a trip that I have been looking forward to for along time so any suggestions, experiences, or anything else you think that I should of been aware of would be appreciated.

A great camera and an ipod.

Hi,

Seriously though, this is a trip that I have been looking forward to for along time so any suggestions, experiences, or anything else you think that I should of been aware of would be appreciated.

The advise I would give you is to leave the Tech at home, why you ask? Well our English Roses are more fun than anything you can plug in!! unless you visit Soho and then forget about the plug-in thing ;-)

Have a great trip and don't forget your Camera, Mac and if you are in Sheffield PM me and I will let you take my exwife home with you lol "Please"!

i didnt take my computer to europe, i was fine with my camera and ipod. and dont forget the chargers.

A great camera and an ipod.

I have My Nikon D80 (I love the D80 by the way) for pictures! I have an "ipod with video" with the USB to ipod adapter because the memory card in the D80 fills up fast (raw files are big :o )

When It comes to music player I was thinking about bring my Zune! :D....why Microsoft? Why do you make these products? Wasn't Windows enough?

I have been to Europe before (8 times)...just this time I'm going to see more than just beautiful England and Ireland (not that I don't like them they are really cool coutries!).

Hi,

In response to leaving the tech at home

Well..........Mabey leaving most of the tech might not be such a bad idea. Only bringing my camera and iPod might not be such a bad thing..It just would feel odd being detached from the grid for 3 weeks....

I have been before but to be honest last time I went I wasn't really as "wired" as I am now to tech. The Camera that I brought the last time was film!

I would vote for the camera (digital) and ipod (for music/podcasts and photo storage). Leave the laptop behind. If you haven't already, you can always set up a webbased email account to "keep in touch". I know it is hard to think of not being connected - but once you get there, no laptop frees the mind to focus on why you went. Speaking from experience, after a few days the cravings pass <g>.

Edited by karinlord

Another vote for camera + iPod. Anything else will distract from the beautiful places you'll be seeing. Not to mention, Europeans are wonderful. Spend time getting to know their culture, don't waste your travels with tech.

Edited by mobilexile

if you bring a camera and ipod, you should bring apple's ipod camera adapter and a usb cable. that way you wont have to buy another Overpriced and overtaxed memory card. and you'll have a backup.

I personally would bring the laptop, and dont use it while you're there. it may be nice to use it on the plane though, i recommend getting a power adapter for the plane as well.

if you have Sprint or verizon, you may want to get a cingular phone (even if it it is a prepaid phone.) If you wished, you could buy a Sim card and put it in the phone when you get to europe. of course, if you already have cingular or t-mobile, you are all set.

Where exactly are you going in Europe?

I would get a good camera and a lot of Money as the exchange rate is 1.37 :-O !

I would also read the news to see what is currently going on in the country where you are traveling to.

I'm goin' to England, Ireland, Spain, Portugal (just for a day trip though), and France......I would like to go to other countries In Europe.....but it doesn't grow on trees.

PS. Hiton hotels when someone calls looking for hotel reservations.......PLEASE GET ME SOME ONE WHO CAN SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! I realize that English is a hard language to learn and all but I can't speak Spanish, French.....or another language besides ENGLISH. So please when I say English in to the Answering robot/voice recognition machine (I love sounding "un-technical") give me an English speaking person.....other wise I have no issues with Hilton hotel(s)

if you bring a camera and ipod, you should bring apple's ipod camera adapter and a usb cable. that way you wont have to buy another Overpriced and overtaxed memory card. and you'll have a backup.

I personally would bring the laptop, and dont use it while you're there. it may be nice to use it on the plane though, i recommend getting a power adapter for the plane as well.

if you have Sprint or verizon, you may want to get a cingular phone (even if it it is a prepaid phone.) If you wished, you could buy a Sim card and put it in the phone when you get to europe. of course, if you already have cingular or t-mobile, you are all set.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When It comes to Phones my cell phone is CDMA so It won't work in Europe, Can I rent a "mobile" (or "cell phone" if you in North America, like me)

PS. Sprint, Verision, T-mobile or AT&T aren't a factor for me because they don't exist in Canada we have Bell (who I'm with) and Rogers (I "strongly dislike you Rogers, but than again how many people love their cell provider?)

Another vote for camera + iPod. Anything else will distract from the beautiful places you'll be seeing. Not to mention, Europeans are wonderful. Spend time getting to know their culture, don't waste your travels with tech.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In response to "Europeans are wonderful"....YES THEY ARE! They are helpful, well educated, articulate, people who wouldn't hesitate for a second to help you

When It comes to Phones my cell phone is CDMA so It won't work in Europe, Can I rent a "mobile" (or "cell phone" if you in North America, like me)

PS. Sprint, Verision, T-mobile or AT&T aren't a factor for me because they don't exist in Canada we have Bell (who I'm with) and Rogers (I "strongly dislike you Rogers, but than again how many people love their cell provider?)

T-mobile, cingular, and rogers work in Europe because they are GSM. If you can get a prepaid phone, you can either load it up with a LOT of minutes (at rogers prices lol), or put in a native sim card for that network. I would recommend getting an unlocked phone on ebay and buying a card when you get there. you can buy the sim card in europe, stick it in your phone, and the phone will have the euro number, make calls under that account, ect.

Ok if you are only staying a day in these countries there is not much to take from a tech point of view besides a good camera.

I also make fotos from things other than sights, things from everyday life. These are then the ones that will give you the most flaire of what it has bee like. I mean by that pictures of small streets, people, cafés, shops, public transport, taxis, restaurants, supermarkets etc.

e.g. I have found very interesting labeling of food. Hey, and pic up some Euro coins. In each country one side is different.

Ok if you are only staying a day in these countries there is not much to take from a tech point of view besides a good camera.

I also make fotos from things other than sights, things from everyday life. These are then the ones that will give you the most flaire of what it has bee like. I mean by that pictures of small streets, people, cafés, shops, public transport, taxis, restaurants, supermarkets etc.

e.g. I have found very interesting labeling of food. Hey, and pic up some Euro coins. In each country one side is different.

No, In England I'm staying 5 days, Ireland I'm Staying 5 days, France I'm staying 4 days, Spain I'm staying 4 days and in Portugal I'm staying 1 day.

T-mobile, cingular, and rogers work in Europe because they are GSM. If you can get a prepaid phone, you can either load it up with a LOT of minutes (at rogers prices lol), or put in a native sim card for that network. I would recommend getting an unlocked phone on ebay and buying a card when you get there. you can buy the sim card in europe, stick it in your phone, and the phone will have the euro number, make calls under that account, ect.

I've always been confused about the way that the Europeans use cell phones, they buy cards and "pay as you go" instead of getting a bill at the end of the month...I think.....HELP!

We have both. It's mostly kids that use pay as you go though. Too much hassle to keep topping up! for your purposes an unlocked GSM mobile and buying pay as you go sim cards would probably be better. They're pretty cheap (in the UK they are anyway - never had any experience with them elsewhere, obviously).

We have both. It's mostly kids that use pay as you go though. Too much hassle to keep topping up! for your purposes an unlocked GSM mobile and buying pay as you go sim cards would probably be better. They're pretty cheap (in the UK they are anyway - never had any experience with them elsewhere, obviously).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, thanks for the Help!....I noticed that you are from Manchester.....Are U United? :lol: (sorry about the bad joke)

That was rather bad... Thankfully I'm a refugee from elsewhere, only live here for three years.

Also any tips for what to do on the 6-7 hour flight to England would be appreciated. What do you do on long flights? Usually I wonder why they couldn't get better attendants! If I was to bring my MacBook Pro I would just get ticked at Lightroom and Photoshop for crashing (CS3 is stable...really I haven't noticed!) Wi-Fi isn't really to "fly" (sorry about the pun) at 35,000ft. so.....

I try and listen to my ipod on flights but earbuds don't really cut it....I'm probably going to just cough up the cash for a pair of Noise Cancelling Headphone, suggestions?

If you are having problems with CS3 and lightroom crashing something is not right. I have never had any of CS3 crash and I have been using it since it came out. I have had Lightroom crash a couple of times once corrupting the library once but by and large it has been fairly stable also.

Edited by joshr