markbin

imac G5 3rd logicboard is dead

I am currently on an iMac G5 1.8GHZ and it is on its 3rd logicboard. Now this logicboard is doing the same thing as the first two where it will only run under heavy procceses for only about 25 minutes and then will go to sleep. I am no longer under applecare and there are no apple stores near me, the closest is about 3.5Hrs away. What should I do?

Thanks

-Mark

You could try calling apple. I've heard of people who have obviously been sold lemons and they've got free out of warrantee repairs.

Update: well I took off the back of the computer and cleaned the dust out and since then i have had no problems. :) I hope this never happens agian. Another interesting thing is that all the logicboards went bad when it was summer; could it just be the enviroment the computers in at most the temperature gets up to 85 degrees F. Is this too hot for the computer, what are the operating temperatures and also the computer will go to sleep once when the CPU temperature gets to 168degrees F. Is that too hot?

Thanks

-Mark

Edited by markbin

Thats pretty toasty...

i have seen computers in a hotter environment than 85, although i would guess that is a peak temp if you have an AC.

If the computer is going at 168, it is obviously too hot. When is the Last time you reinstalled OS X?

Edited by applgeek

Double Post, disregard this.

Edited by applgeek

One month ago, I upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4. I still have had no problems since the cleaning.

-Mark

Well the problem came up again so I called apple and they said that they could not help me. But, I have found the solution. It turns out that its just that the computer is not effectively cooling the CPU. I did some googling and found a way to get the fans to go full blast all the time. I have to boot into single user mode and tell it to reboot. It does mot turn off the fans and they continue to run. I have had no problems since I made the fans go at full speed.

-Mark

You could try reapplying the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5.