That Ray Guy

Still Standing In Line

July 20, 2007 -

So there I was the other night, still standing in line at the U-Village Apple store in Seattle - like I have been since July first - chatting with a few people about their iPhones. As always, the subject was raised about why I'm still standing in a one person line.

Well, My wife wisely holds the purse strings and has set my iDay accordingly. It's a good thing too, cause if I controlled the money we'd have far more than the ten or so MACs at our shop than we do now (but with ZERO in the bank). Added to the computers, we have Apple software galore, iPods (an entire collection) and more. My wife even used to WORK for Apple (I carry a picture of her old employee badge in my wallet).

With all this time on my hands (I log a few minutes a week standing in line) I have surfed to most every www address that references iPhone and THIS is STILL the place for me, Adam. MacCast is friendly, intelligent and informative with just enough humor to take the edge off my own impatience.

At nearly 61 people think I'm nuts for jonesing this way. Everyone except my wife and son who've know of my Apple passion since 1985. I've even made a living following MACs and MAC software around the world (my split frame picture shows me with The WOZ and again withHopalong Cassidy).

I've already worn out TWO paper mock ups of an iPhone since early June, and I'll tell you that the size is PERFECT. Since using the iPhone demos at the store (when I can get someone to hold my place in line for a few minutes), I have switched to a cardboard model and approximated the iPhone's weight with pebbles from the little fountain near where I stand.

The Apple Store employees are getting as used to seeing me as the Starbucks folks across the mall (everybody knows my name now - CHEERS!). I've got a favorite iPhone on the demo table and have been giving the # out to friends. The phone reception is GREAT! Plus i've already learned how to change the ring tone back to marimba with only a few finger presses.

It's great to read real world reports on the iPhone. Hey, is anybody naming theirs, like people used to name their VW Bugs? If so, that'd be a great list to start. Well, I gotta go get another cold "FRAP", the sun is making me a little loopy.

That Ray Guy - 3 w's, then insidetheboom followed by dot com

P.S. - Why do the fist people in line get all the attention and never the last one? Just wondering.

It's great to read real world reports on the iPhone. Hey, is anybody naming theirs, like people used to name their VW Bugs? If so, that'd be a great list to start. Well, I gotta go get another cold "FRAP", the sun is making me a little loopy.

actually yes, i named my iphone Lisa, not to be confused with the computer from back in the day. funny story: when i first got my iphone and started calling people, i found out that when i call landlines, their caller id says i'm lisa, but i'm not. i'm joe. i've since called at&t to fix it, but i still refer to my baby as lisa.

and fraps are delicious.

and its funny that you gave out the apple store iphone number to friends.. heh.. i could see myself doing that.. almost.

actually yes, i named my iphone Lisa, not to be confused with the computer from back in the day. funny story: when i first got my iphone and started calling people, i found out that when i call landlines, their caller id says i'm lisa, but i'm not. i'm joe. i've since called at&t to fix it, but i still refer to my baby as lisa.

and fraps are delicious.

and its funny that you gave out the apple store iphone number to friends.. heh.. i could see myself doing that.. almost.

Joe -

Thanks for the input and the "way to go" for my humor (it's real). I have some more funny stories I hope to post about my recent adventures "Standing In Line".

Oh, I'm naming my iPhone "GIZMO". But I like Lisa, especially the way AT&T unwittingly gave your iPhone the moniker.

That Ray Guy

IS there anyone else waiting to buy an iPhone? For whatever reason - like budget constraints (still saving up), or perhaps waiting for version 2? Let me know, please. Also, has ANYONE already got an iPhone who has buyers' remorse (I wish I hadn't done that)?

That Ray Guy - 3 W's then insidetheboom followed by dot com