Sign in to follow this  
Edinburger

Where has my chime gone?

Hey all,

Don't know how long this has been going on but I have recently noticed that I no longer get a startup chime when I turn on my mac. Had a good look around and can only see people who want to turn it off!

Anyone had this and know how to solve it?

Running an Intel iMac 1.83 Core duo on 10.4.10

Is your volume muted? If you mute your computer before turning it off, the chime won't play when you next turn it on.

Is your volume muted? If you mute your computer before turning it off, the chime won't play when you next turn it on.

No volume is up. Tried disconnecting external speakers but that doesn't help.

Was thinking of just doing a clean instal...is there a thread with a guide to doing this? Had a look but can't see anything

You'd want to try an archive and install before you do anything as destructive a clean install.

Do you really need to get that start-up chime back? Is it worth all of that effort, id just live without it and hope nothing else had gone wrong.

You'd want to try an archive and install before you do anything as destructive a clean install.

Thanks Graham, maybe I'm getting mixed up between the two. What is the disadvantage of a clean install? All I really want to do is get rid of all the crap that has been accumulating since I bought the computer

I guess the chime doesn't really matter, it's just nice to have!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Thanks Graham, maybe I'm getting mixed up between the two. What is the disadvantage of a clean install? All I really want to do is get rid of all the crap that has been accumulating since I bought the computer

I believe a clean install erases everything, whilst an archived install saves your documents (music, pictures, etc) along with the programs you had installed (I believe anyways, not exactly sure if it keeps your third party apps or not) and essentially replaces all your system files with fresh copies. If I'm wrong, someone please jump in and correct me, but I think that's right. If you have all your documents backed up and all your serial keys, I would do a clean install if you are wanting to get rid of unwanted apps that may be lying around. Just have your Mac OS X install disc handy along with your serials for your third party apps.

There isn't a disadvantage per sey. They are for different purposes. If you are just trying to fix your chime start with an archive and install. As groomsys thought it only replaces the system files and leaves user files and apps intact.

The startup chime's volume can be set by the OS, but if you can't get it back that's not an OS issue. Try resetting the computer's PRAM by holding Apple+Option+P+R while starting it up. The computer should try to start then shortly reboot again. Hold it through 3-5 reboots, your chime should come back.