Sign in to follow this  
rcfatcat56

G4 Powerbook 12"

I currently have a MBP 2.16 Core 2 with 1gb of Ram and I love it. I've had it since December and I got it to use for school (I'm a senior in college). However, it is fairly big and I wouldn't mind having something smaller so I've been looking at old 12" G4s just for me to take to class, coffee shop, bookstore, library, normal college things. I just want a small cheap second computer for taking notes, surfing the web, and listening to music. I found one but because I am new to Macs I don't know that much about the non-Intel machines. He says its around 4 years old and it has an 867 mhz proccessor, 640 mhz of RAM, Combo Drive. And he wants $300 dollars for it. Will this computer be good for what I want to do or is it too slow??? I appreciate your opinions mac geeks so help me out. Thanks alot.

I have an 867 12" as my primary laptop, and while I'm sure the MBP is faster, it is fast enough for everyday use. I run Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 regularly with no problems, and even Windows XP under Virtual PC every once in a while (it's pretty slow but it does work for checking sites in IE).

The one thing you should know is that it only has USB1.1, so if you need to use USB a lot it'll be slow. And check the battery, a new ones aren't really that cheap compared to the computer price. Other than that, it's a great little machine. Perfect size for travel! For $300 I'd pick one up without a doubt.

i have a 12inch ibook. and its great for the tasks stated. it lacks when it comes to things that require a large amount of resolution. the best part is the laptop is the same size as some text books.

For the needs you described that will be a perfect computer, good price too.

Edited by joshr

As you are a college student, this computer would suit you the best, low price, small, light, mobile. It won't be too slow if you are doing normal college stuff.

That would definitely be a good choice for a 2nd laptop. I'm currently using a 12" 600 MHz g3, and it works great for surfing the internet, iTunes, etc. I love that it's small enough to tote around with me, and it's definitely fast enough for simple applications - just make sure you have OS X 10.4 installed on it - that way you'll be able to use the most recent versions of software such as iTunes, etc. I too am a recent switcher, and from what I've discovered, an "old" Mac is not a Mac that is no longer functional, as is usually the case with a PC. Don't get anything older than a g3 or g4 though, as software starts to not be compatible with machines older than that. But other than that, I'd say go for it! You won't be disappointed!