eyerobic

Leopard

With emphasis on multicore apps in Leopard, will I be able to upgrade the OS on my G4 Mini?

With emphasis on multicore apps in Leopard, will I be able to upgrade the OS on my G4 Mini?

Well I suppose you can never be 100% when it hasn't come out yet but Apple is pretty good about newer OS's running on older hardware. Typically they actually work better on older hardware than older versions of the OS because Apple continues to make the newer versions more efficient.

Yes you can run it. It ain't pretty (at the moment anyway), but it does run on a G4.

They do make the OS more efficient with each release, provided you meet the minimum requirements and maintain a comfortable buffer over the minimum RAM requirement.

Leopard promises to make the most aggressive cut yet in support for older models. G3s are almost certainly out, speculation is some lower end G4s might bite it too. I'd say your Mini is recent enough with a 1GHz+ G4. Just make sure you have adequate RAM. The 512 it shipped with probably isn't enough.

Since I'm not guessing (hoping I can talk about this...), it installs and runs quite a bit slower on my mini. But this is beta software, so it will surely improve before release.

. . . it installs and runs quite a bit slower on my mini. But this is beta software, so it will surely improve before release.

Thanks everyone,

I guess what I'm considering, is what the "final upgrade" would be for the 1.42 G4 Mini?

I'm currently at X.3.9 and put off buying X.4.something as my Mini shipped a month or two early without it. I am not typically the early adopter. … how many years has it been? So it's time for an OS upgrade or a Macbook!?!? (ahem, don't tell the wife). I mean, I'm quite versed at running 4 machines at 4 distinctly different OS' … so why not a 5th Mac in the house?

Not expecting much disagreement here.

… Chris