Sign in to follow this  
Mac-User

Fuse after Fuse...

Hey MacFans,

My AppleCare recently ran out which was covering my iMac. A couple of days ago my iMac blew the fuse in the plug which was quite unusual. Just thinking that it was a power surge, i replaced the fuse with other ones but alas the mac blew those too.

I have a feeling that my iMac is sucking in too much power, or that the power chord is faulty seeing as other electronic appliances work from the same power source.

I was wondering if Apple supply customers with new power chords or whether i could buy a general computer plug which the same voltage etc...

Any ideas are appreciated :D

Thanks

Hey MacFans,

My AppleCare recently ran out which was covering my iMac. A couple of days ago my iMac blew the fuse in the plug which was quite unusual. Just thinking that it was a power surge, i replaced the fuse with other ones but alas the mac blew those too.

I have a feeling that my iMac is sucking in too much power, or that the power chord is faulty seeing as other electronic appliances work from the same power source.

I was wondering if Apple supply customers with new power chords or whether i could buy a general computer plug which the same voltage etc...

Any ideas are appreciated :D

Thanks

There's a fuse in the plug? Really? Where is it? I have several iMacs and never knew about this.

As for your issue, usually if there is a repeated failure of fuses like you describe, there is a short somewhere. I would just try a new general one.

Which kind of iMac do you have? If it's a G3 or G5, it uses a standard power cable you can get anywhere for cheap. It wouldn't hurt to get one and try it. If the power cord doesn't fix it, you could have a power supply issue. As you surmised, it is possible for a power supply to fail in such a way that it draws down too much power. Out of curiosity, your iMac doesn't make any buzzing noises when plugged in does it?

There's a fuse in the plug? Really? Where is it? I have several iMacs and never knew about this.

As for your issue, usually if there is a repeated failure of fuses like you describe, there is a short somewhere. I would just try a new general one.

Well i dont think that the American plugs use fuses but here in England we definitely do.

Which kind of iMac do you have? If it's a G3 or G5, it uses a standard power cable you can get anywhere for cheap. It wouldn't hurt to get one and try it. If the power cord doesn't fix it, you could have a power supply issue. As you surmised, it is possible for a power supply to fail in such a way that it draws down too much power. Out of curiosity, your iMac doesn't make any buzzing noises when plugged in does it?

I have a 17" Intel iMac Core Duo. i guess i will try and get another cable. Also, my iMac doesnt make a "buzzing" noise when plugged in. Why did you ask?

I have a 17" Intel iMac Core Duo. i guess i will try and get another cable. Also, my iMac doesnt make a "buzzing" noise when plugged in. Why did you ask?

I'm supposing he asked because usually, when appliances are receiving too much or too little electrical current, the power supplies tend to make a buzzing noise. Have you ever measured the voltage in your house? The power coming into your house could be varying more than normal causing this, but if it were, you'd probably notice other appliances acting up by now. Definitely try the chord first as that's the easiest and cheapest thing to replace. If that doesn't work, it may be time for a new power supply.

I'm supposing he asked because usually, when appliances are receiving too much or too little electrical current, the power supplies tend to make a buzzing noise. Have you ever measured the voltage in your house? The power coming into your house could be varying more than normal causing this, but if it were, you'd probably notice other appliances acting up by now. Definitely try the chord first as that's the easiest and cheapest thing to replace. If that doesn't work, it may be time for a new power supply.

Here in London its a custom to have your power reading checked every so often and to my knowledge we have a perfectly stable amount of power coming in. I am also reassured by the fact that all other appliances are working fine.

So i guess i'm going to to try connecting my mac to a power supply in another room first, with a new fuse and if that doesnt work then i will go with your suggestion of getting a new chord. However, if that fails then i will need to take it in to an Apple store.

Too bad my AppleCare ran out :(

Here in London its a custom to have your power reading checked every so often and to my knowledge we have a perfectly stable amount of power coming in. I am also reassured by the fact that all other appliances are working fine.

So i guess i'm going to to try connecting my mac to a power supply in another room first, with a new fuse and if that doesnt work then i will go with your suggestion of getting a new chord. However, if that fails then i will need to take it in to an Apple store.

Too bad my AppleCare ran out :(

I'm sorry to hear that your applecare ran out. That really sucks when electronics go on the fritz as soon as the warranty is up. I hope that a new power chord may be able to solve your problems. Keep us updated and good luck!

Well i dont think that the American plugs use fuses but here in England we definitely do.

Ah.. I see. I didn't know that.

I'm sorry to hear that your applecare ran out. That really sucks when electronics go on the fritz as soon as the warranty is up. I hope that a new power chord may be able to solve your problems. Keep us updated and good luck!

As requested, I'll update you :)

Well i have tried countless fuses and chords and decided to have a professional check it out. I am in the process of getting insurance now and am keen on AppleCare.

When i was looking at the back of my mac, in the little part where the power chord goes in, i saw that the metal prongs were actually kind of "scorched" as little black marks were left and it they are slightly chipped.

Hope that was informative enough for you. By the way, I have heard that AppleCare is "worth its weight in gold" (if it had weight hehe) and was wondering if anyone else had an opinion?

Thanks! :D

As requested, I'll update you :)

Well i have tried countless fuses and chords and decided to have a professional check it out. I am in the process of getting insurance now and am keen on AppleCare.

When i was looking at the back of my mac, in the little part where the power chord goes in, i saw that the metal prongs were actually kind of "scorched" as little black marks were left and it they are slightly chipped.

Hope that was informative enough for you. By the way, I have heard that AppleCare is "worth its weight in gold" (if it had weight hehe) and was wondering if anyone else had an opinion?

Thanks! :D

I can't say I've ever had to use my Apple Care, but I do like the piece of mind it gives me. I don't worry about things near as much as I used to pre-Apple Care. I'm a bit more lax with everything. I guess I'll stay that way until the final months of my warranty, when I'm going through my notebook with a fine comb. haha Let us know more information about your problem though as it gets solved. Very interested in this one.