Sign in to follow this  
yhyoon12

Macbook???

I am going to get a macbook, and i dont know if i should get 1 or 2 gig ram, 80 or 120 gig hard drive, is there a big difference between 2 and 2.16 giga hertz (sp) is there a big difference between combo and super drive, i usually use it for, starcraft internet, flashgames, just basic use, no hardcore gaming, just starcraft, im also trying to spend as less money as i can as i am on a budget. thank you for your time :rolleyes:

I am going to get a macbook, and i dont know if i should get 1 or 2 gig ram, 80 or 120 gig hard drive, is there a big difference between 2 and 2.16 giga hertz (sp) is there a big difference between combo and super drive, i usually use it for, starcraft internet, flashgames, just basic use, no hardcore gaming, just starcraft, im also trying to spend as less money as i can as i am on a budget. thank you for your time :rolleyes:

Well, I just bought a stock black macbook. but Get as much RAM as you can afford, and there is not a real big difference between 2GHz and 2.16GHz. The combo drive only does CD-R & CD-RW while the Superdrive does DVD+/- RW and CD-R/W. the hard drive can always be upgraded later. While the drive is a bit more tricky, afaik.

Just my thoughts

On the MacBook the hard drive and the memory (RAM) can be upgraded with basic tools by the end user, the optical drive should be changed by an authorized service center. I always get the least amount of RAM and hard drive, then purchase 3rd party RAM and if I need a hard drive later I will upgrade that when I need it and use the old as an external.

Apple installed RAM is pretty expensive, you can find it much cheaper at http://www.datamem.com and http://www.macsales.com for hard drives. I have done business with these companies for many years and they will treat you right.

roog

I agree. You will not see any perceptible difference in the two processors. RAM is a good investment, just not from Apple. Add third-party RAM for a savings. If you can stomach the extra cost, go for the larger HD. Unless you want to burn DVD's (and you really may appreciate that option) all you need is a combo drive. I would get the superdrive, personally.

Now, here is an option you should seriously consider: buy an Apple refurbished machine. There is a link at the online Apple store (and one to it on the iSwitched lens in my sig). These are quality machines that you can often get at substantial savings. $200-$300 savings are standard on most laptops. I have seen them recently as high as $800 off (older model, but still a quality machine...in fact, it was the machine I am typing this on... 15" MBPro with Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo). Always worth a look to see what is currently in stock when you are ready to buy.

i decided to get a refurbished mac, however, i took a look at the leopard and thought its only 3 more months, butif i wait until the leopard comes with the machine, do the refurbished machines come with leopard too? and how long do you usually have to wait after the leopard realease until it comes with the system?