ipodgod03

paying for genius bar mistakes?

today i brought in my macbook because the plastic on the right corner of the handrest was coming up and needed replacement.... no big deal. however, i had noticed that the top case (display panel) was not perfectly aligned with the bottom case when shut and had brought this up after i picked it up a different time for repair. the genius today noticed it and asked me if i had dropped it and i said no stating that it has barely even been moved from my desk. i guess he didnt believe me and told me that if i wanted to get it fixed it would be around $400 even though it is still under the 1 year warranty AND i have apple care on it.

I had never even noticed it until i picked it up from apple the time before and then i noticed it right away that something wasnt right. do you think that i have any argument here or am i just going to have to suck it up?

today i brought in my macbook because the plastic on the right corner of the handrest was coming up and needed replacement.... no big deal. however, i had noticed that the top case (display panel) was not perfectly aligned with the bottom case when shut and had brought this up after i picked it up a different time for repair. the genius today noticed it and asked me if i had dropped it and i said no stating that it has barely even been moved from my desk. i guess he didnt believe me and told me that if i wanted to get it fixed it would be around $400 even though it is still under the 1 year warranty AND i have apple care on it.

I had never even noticed it until i picked it up from apple the time before and then i noticed it right away that something wasnt right. do you think that i have any argument here or am i just going to have to suck it up?

I think you should have an argument here, but I'm not sure if it will be that way. Typically, Apple's warranty (as far as I know) does not cover cosmetic issues. This is why there was a big uproar when the white Macbook hand rests were turning yellow and people were wondering if Apple was going to fix that issue. I may be wrong, but that's how I interpreted their warranty policies. You may want to call and complain to Applecare though. Usually if you have Applecare and go raise hell, you can make a little head way. Good luck.

its not cosmetic though, they said that there is a damaged part under the case that connects the top to the bottom

its not cosmetic though, they said that there is a damaged part under the case that connects the top to the bottom

If that's the case then (sorry I misunderstood), I would contact Applecare immediately and tell them your situation. That should be something that they should replace. Let us know how it turns out and good luck.

I have noticed some MacBooks are a bit misaligned there. We have a loaner unit at work which is that way. I think it's a similar problem to the PowerBook G4 gap issue (where the gap is uneven between the screen and palmrest when closed). It just has to do with a compounding of small misalignments when the screen was attached. I don't think there's any repair on the MacBook that requires removal of the screen aside from replacing the screen. So, given that, I can see why the Genius thought it wouldn't be their fault (and it may well have always been like that). Unfortunately at this point you can't prove how it was before the initial repair and if it changed in the process, so you have little recourse. Since it is a cosmetic problem, it's also not applicable for warranty or AppleCare. The process of taking the screen off is basically the complete disassembly of the MacBook, which is why you were told a $400 labor fee.

Every person you talk to will have a different opinion. Take it to another store, call applecare, and if none of that works then politly ask to speak with a manager after you don't get you want at an applestore. Be polite but firm. You may very well not get it fixed but you have nothing to lose so you might as well try.