Craig

6G iPod = iPod Touch?

Major rumors going around today:

- The rumors of a new square version of the current design with a modified interface refer to a video-enabled iPod Nano.

- The 6G iPod will be a phoneless version of the iPhone and will be called the "iPod Touch."

- The new iPods are already built and in transit to the U.S. for an early August release.

- August 7th is a strong possibility for announcements on the new iPods, new iMacs, and iLife '08.

The next few weeks promise to be interesting!

Craig

Edited by Craig

I, like you, am hoping for all of those rumors to come true. I somehow doubt we'll see the new version of iLife until 10.5's release in October since I would imagine that there would be some features that tie into leopard-only features.

Just my two cents.

-Tom

the ipod being a "phone less" iphone would technically be a PDA then wouldnt it? oh well, id buy it. if it was over 60gb of course...

the ipod being a "phone less" iphone would technically be a PDA then wouldnt it? oh well, id buy it. if it was over 60gb of course...

I would expect that at least one model would be 100GB. As for being a PDA, it's definitely a possibility (although Apple could just as easily remove any editing capabilities).

Craig

An Apple PDA/iPod combo is the product i really would like. As absolutely cool as the iPhone is it has several things that keep me from buying now or in the future. i don't need a phone or data network (not to mention the really slow download rate when not on a wireless network), and the amount of music it holds isn't nearly enough.

I agree with spork that iLife will not likely be updated before Leopard is released. I also don't think a phoneless iPhone will come out within a year of the iPhone release but I hope I'm wrong on the second one.

I think you'll see new iMacs (with a free upgrade to Leopard), new iLife, new .mac, and possibly a one more thing" announcement on upcoming iPods. Also a chance of updated MacBook Pros and an updated iWork. Why iLife now? iLife is an essential part of the appeal of the iMac to potential buyers and I think Apple has some cool new tricks up their sleeve with the new version.

Craig

Edited by Craig

I can go along with announcing a new iLife as long as it's not released until Leopard is out.

I'm fully convinced it will be mostly about new iMacs and maybe something to replace the mini (which, for quite some time, has been rumored on the way out and would account for the product trransition remark)

I know I heard on another podcast (Buzz Out Loud, I think) that Apple specifically said there would be no iPod announcements.

We'll find out tomorrow.

Apple has been very clear on that this is an Mac event, not an iPhone event and not an iPod event.. Besides, I have a hard time believing they'll announce a 6th gen wide screen iPod until they've released the iPhone to the rest of the world.

One possibility is that Apple stops developing Macs and will from now on only sell what's in stock and give Applecare, but no new Macs. Now, that would be a big surprise announcement, wouldn't it? :P

This is as good a prediction as any of the predictions above.

If the iMacs ship immediately then they're likely to ship with the new iLife. It is, of course, possible that some of its new features won't show up unless it's running under Leopard.

I personally believe that iLife was delayed primarily due to internal resources being allocated to the iPhone, not due to its dependency on Leopard.

Craig

Edited by Craig

I think you'll see new iMacs (with a free upgrade to Leopard), new iLife, new .mac, and possibly a one more thing" announcement on upcoming iPods. Also a chance of updated MacBook Pros and an updated iWork. Why iLife now? iLife is an essential part of the appeal of the iMac to potential buyers and I think Apple has some cool new tricks up their sleeve with the new version.

4 out of 6...not bad!

Craig

Good job, Craig.

Though, I really don't see much if anything 'new' about iLife or .Mac

They claim to have a totally rebuilt iMovie but the link goes nowhere (yet).

Good job, Craig.

Though, I really don't see much if anything 'new' about iLife or .Mac

They claim to have a totally rebuilt iMovie but the link goes nowhere (yet).

Thanks. There are some significant changes in iLife '08, although I'm not convinced they're all for the better (especially the rebuilt iMovie, which appears to be dumbed down from previous versions). The integration between iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, and .Mac is very impressive (the bump in storage/bandwidth to 10GB/100GB isn't to be scoffed at either) and something I'm looking forward to playing around with. Hopefully the installation process will include the option to keep your previous installation of iMovie.

For a full 20-minute video demo of the new iLife, check out:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/guidedtour

Notice the rather conspicuous (sp?) absence of iDVD from the tour.

Craig

Edited by Craig

iMovie looks really nice to me. Apart from they explicitly mention saving to your internal drive or a firewire drive, not USB2 or network attached storage. All my media is kept on a couple of big drives hooked up to my AirPort Extreme. I can edit them using iMovie HD quite happily, so there is enough bandwidth.

And, I just read my email notice about the .Mac changes. The biggest is an increase in storage from 1 Gb to 10Gb. I can now back up my purchased music/videos to iDisk again.

(Note re: edit - I need to start previewing my posts or get smaller fingers)

Edited by Huskermn

Back to the iPod Touch, new rumors suggest a release next month and offer some details on the design. Here's one mockup (not by me) based on those details:

mockupgz8.jpg

Craig

So a special event next week on 9/5 looks to be where the new models will be announced (although they may not ship until the end of September). The event invite also hints heavily that the Beatles catalog will finally be added to iTunes. Here's another mockup:

itouchsf6.jpg

I'm no good at predictions and even less good at fantasy sports, so I'm not even going to weigh in on the possibilities of next weeks announcement.

It does seem unlikely to me, though, that Apple would have a non-phone iPod which looks just like the iPhone this soon after release.

I like the Beatles announcement idea!

Actually, it makes a lot of sense if you stop and think about it. The iPhone has been out long enough that majority of people who would buy it strictly for its iPod features have done so already. In the meantime, iPod owners and people in the market for a portable MP3 player but who don't want a new phone have had long enough to become familiar with the iPhone's interface and want a high-capacity iPod that has it. I'd say the timing is perfect right now, especially with back-to-school shopping in full swing.

Craig

CLIPPED -

The iPhone has been out long enough that majority of people who would buy it strictly for its iPod features have done so already. I'd say the timing is perfect right now, especially with back-to-school shopping in full swing.

Craig

It's only been two months. Heck, I even waited until recently to buy one because I wanted to be sure it was stable. But, you were right last time and probably will be again.

Who do you like in the Deutsche Bank golf tounrey this weekend?

I highly doubt that the fat iPod nano pics are real. I think that at the September 5th event Apple will introduce new nanos and 6th gens. Both with touch screens in similar form factors as the current ones. with the nano having 4 and 8 gig flash and the 6th gen with larger harddrives.

Looking at the "Leaked" pics of the new Nano I have to say I don't like the design but I understand Apples problems?

I have given it some thought and I would have used the Nano's existing form factor, removed the wheel and streched the screen.

This would be great for many but not for some, My friend has a 12 year old blind daughter and she has a Nano, out of the box she was flying around the controls and loves it, this would not be the case with touch screens.

Edited by zionlion