weeks82

iPod won't sync with iTunes but does show up on desktop

I'm having trouble syncing my iPod with iTunes. The icon shows up on the desktop and the ipod displays the usual do not disconnect logo. The problem is it won't show up in iTunes. No little logo on the left side of the screen and needless to say it doesn't update. My iPhone however still syncs fine and shows up in iTunes. Any ideas on this? Thanks for any and all tips.

if you can't see it in itunes to restore it, i'd suggest erasing it in disk utility, mac os extended journaled. or whatever, probably doesnt matter. this has worked for me. then once you format it, somehow itunes works its magic and realizes its there but formatted wrong and has to restore. so try that.

You may even be able to get by with Repair Disk in the Disk Utility. That way, you don't have to totally reload it.

If that doesn't work, the Erase and Restore option is next.

When my 3rd gen drive was dying, I was able to limp along for a few months by using the Zero Out Data Secure Erase option. Eventually, though, I had to replace the drive in it.

I ended up doing the erase from disk utility. Then ran restore from iTunes. I just plugged my iPod back in and the same thing happens. It shows up on the desktop but won't show in iTunes. Any ideas ? I'll have to check the receipt but I'm pretty sure this is still under warranty.

You could try reinstalling iTunes to make sure it's working correctly.

Or, A 'real' erase might help.

Other than that, I think you may need to talk about a replacement.