groomsy57

Windows Vista Home Premium

So my mother, who is around 46 years of age, wanted a new computer recently. I tried to tell her she should get a Mac but she didn't want to switch platforms and said she wanted to start her own business and that business use Windows (quite good logic isn't it?). After a little talking, I realized I couldn't change her mind. Reluctantly, I ordered her a new Dell desktop. It really wasn't too shabby of a product and I'm impressed with how the desktops from Dell are put together: they are easy to take apart and replace many components without the need of a single tool. However, her honeymoon with her new Dell quickly fell apart.

Within a few weeks of owning it, she put it to sleep one day and whilst it was asleep, a component failed and the computer was unable to boot (solid amber light at the front of the machine indicated to me that there was a hardware error of some sort). I look around but I can't think of anything it would be without major hardware replacement. So I call Dell's tech support. Even though it took a while to get through all the troubleshooting steps, eventually I was told that it needed the logic board replaced and that they would send a technician to come and replace it.

In only days a technician was there to replace the logic board and he replaced the power supply as well. So when I get home, I'm checking on the machine to make sure it's up to snuff and that everything works. As I try to login to my mom's account, it comes up and says that this machine is running an inactivated version of Vista Home Premium. That's when it donned on me that in the midst of all the DRM in Vista to prevent people from stealing it, they had put a check in there to look for major hardware changes. Apparently a new logic board and power supply fall into that category. So now I must activate this copy of Windows Vista that I know my mother has bought. I try to activate it through the internet connection, but no dice. I know the internet connection works (my Macbook Pro tells me so), but still it cannot activate. So it has an option to hook the modem to a phone line and activate that way. So I try it, but still I get errors (cannot connect to server, blah, blah, blah). At this point, I'm furious. I honestly cannot believe people still put up with this. But I digress, there is a third option: call Microsoft and activate over the phone. So I call. An automated voice asks me to read off these numbers on my screen, some activation code thing. 54 D*MN NUMBERS. 54 numbers? Really? Why is this necessary? Anyways, I read in the 54 freaking numbers and the automated voice informs me that it cannot find my information. Great. Superb. They will transfer me over to someone to help. Even better. So I'm sitting on hold for about 10 to 15 minutes listening to horrible Yanni music when the call is transferred over and the line starts ringing. Great, here we go. The ringing stops... nothing but silence. Great, nothing is there. I sit there for 2 minutes in silence. I finally hang up and call back. Of course, I have to go through the 54 numbers again. This time it transfers me to a person. Then a person answers. No, wait, that's an automated voice, "No one is here to take your call right now. Call again later." Click. Great.

After two hours of trying to activate Windows Vista for my mother, I am nowhere. Actually I am somewhere: Vista will allow her to surf the internet, so that's always something, right?

In all, I'd say this experience is horrible. From what I've used of Vista (before the incident) and this little experience, I'd say my Mac is safely in it's place, on my desk and being used as much as I can. It's good sometimes to see what's out there in the rest of the world and realize how much better you have it sometimes. If anyone has had a good experience with Vista, please tell. Or if you've had a bad experience, let us know as well. I think I'm done with my rant for now.

what? vista has problems? nah, i dont believe it. and no support? unheard of

Why 54 numbers you ask? Why because then Microsoft can have 10^54 (ten to the fifty fourth) copies of Vista out there. Microsoft is reporting that they expect to have 1 billion installed Windows computers, assuming (wrongly) that they are all vista, that leaves 10^45 possible combinations out there. This means that everyone on earth currently can buy 1.51302705 × 10^35 Vista computers. Also this is 9.39351982 × 10^42 vista computers for each person who has ever lived. Now you can see why 54 numbers is totally necessary, because who doesn't want to buy 1.51302705 × 10^35 vista computers. Do you realize how many viruses that is? My math might be a bit wrong, or my sources for population and people who have ever lived could be wrong, but I think I made my point.

As for why people buy vista? Because that's what they sell. Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, etc., all only sell Vista (on PCs) since M$ penalizes them if they sell any XP computers. Also, most of those Vista computers can't get XP on them since they don't make XP drivers for many of the components in them.

Vista is total Crap. There are some nice things like their Spotlight rip-off and Aero doesn't look half bad. However everything else sucks. They made it harder to use by messing with the tried and true menus. When OSX came out they changed the look and feel of the menus by adding the Application Menu, but everything else remained the same. I work with Vista every day, and I can tell you that I hate it.

Dell has slipped a lot in quality recently. I'm hoping that they come back now that Michael Dell is back in charge, but that has yet to be seen.

Good luck with everything. I'm really sorry that you have chosen to be a Mac guy and still have to deal with Vista.

-Tom

Get XP (or W2K) if you can. Those two are demand much less system resources than Vista. Those two will make the computer run faster than before!

Edited by cherry su

use (or dont use, your choice) paradox vista crack to "activate" vista, which may or may not be found on certain torrent sites.

Most recent computers that come shipped with Vista don't have XP drivers available for key components, networking for example. And unless the EXACT system is offered as an XP computer chances are you're stuck with either a crippled XP or a fully functional (insert comment about vista's lack of functionality here) Vista. Desktops are much more likely to succeed with the Downgrade than laptops, but there can still be some issues. Also, even Windows XP home costs $199 MSRP so tack on an extra 200 bucks just to downgrade to an older version. Sad, but true.

I enjoy how people want to take their new Windows computers and make them run an old version of Windows, and Mac people want to take their old unsupported Macs and make them run the new version of the OS (X Post Facto for example).

-Tom

If you can prove to the computer manufacturer that you've not installed used windows (photos showing you clicking on "no" on the licence screen etc) they will give you a refund for the copy of windows you're not using - heard a load of people doing this when they want to run Linux on their computer.

If you can prove to the computer manufacturer that you've not installed used windows (photos showing you clicking on "no" on the licence screen etc) they will give you a refund for the copy of windows you're not using - heard a load of people doing this when they want to run Linux on their computer.

I've actually heard about this recently at work. It says right in the EULA to either call a number or return to the place of purchase for a refund. I work at a store that sells Windows machines and nobody there has heard of how to give the refund or how much it may be. Anyone know more about that? If you get the full retail price of Windows Vista Home Premium you could get a computer for almost nothing. I doubt this to be the case since the OEM versions of Windows cost even small time joints less that 100 bucks, but it still interests me as a person who's in the market for a new HTPC and was thinking about a Myth box.

-Tom

use (or dont use, your choice) paradox vista crack to "activate" vista, which may or may not be found on certain torrent sites.

You needn't use bittorrent to download the crack, I have always obtained it through a simple browser download found through Google, I was amazed how well it worked.

I think Vista is great.... the problems you describe would happen with XP as well. It's the Dell technicians fault for not making sure you computer was working again.... also Dells have Motherboards.

There is nothing wrong with Vista, it's only people who don't like change that have problems with Vista.... I also don't understand what you're talking about them changing the menus in Vista?

In Windows, the menu belongs to the application running, not Windows. So if a menu is different, whoever coded the app is responsible, not Windows Vista.

I upgraded from XP to Vista, Vista runs just as well on my PC as XP did(which is great and flawless). My Machine is not super new, and is 1 to 2 years old.

You know what I love about Vista? *cough cough*

How for every seemingly simple thing you try to perform (i.e.: deleting a desktop icon) it asks you at least four times if you're SURE you want it to do what you just told it to do.

Are you sure?

Really sure?

Really really sure?

I think Vista is great.... the problems you describe would happen with XP as well. It's the Dell technicians fault for not making sure you computer was working again.... also Dells have Motherboards.

There is nothing wrong with Vista, it's only people who don't like change that have problems with Vista.... I also don't understand what you're talking about them changing the menus in Vista?

In Windows, the menu belongs to the application running, not Windows. So if a menu is different, whoever coded the app is responsible, not Windows Vista.

I upgraded from XP to Vista, Vista runs just as well on my PC as XP did(which is great and flawless). My Machine is not super new, and is 1 to 2 years old.

I have to agree, I have a Tablet running Vista Business and love it!

I listen with interest to the likes of Mac pod-casters slamming Vista and Laugh my dangly bits off, it works great and while I choose Macs over Windows this doesn't mean that I'm "closed" off to other options and ideas.

Like Macs Vista works best on "optimised" systems and yes these are more expensive than say your "$300/$400 dell box" but then so are Macs.

My biggest issue with Vista is the lack of compatibility with older stuff. I know we as Mac users went through a time of compatibility issues, but Apple did a much better job easing us through. Where as Windows users are forced into Vista or XP for their computers Apple gave us the option to use OS X or OS 9 in a dual boot situation. Sure you can dual boot XP and Vista if you chose, but they only give you one OS with your computer and then make you buy the other if you want to use it. We also had Classic, which though faulty let us run OS 9 apps in a shell type environment. I know classic had its issues, I used it so I know, but we then still had the dual boot option if all else failed. This is my biggest issue with Vista, not usability or looks or anything else. I know that it gives the ability to run software in a compatibility mode to be compatible with older versions of the OS, but that works worse than classic did, and since you need to select it specifically and most people don't know it's there, most people won't use it.

-Tom