Sign in to follow this  
blue9

Monolingual ( Free )

Monolingual is a program for removing unnecessary language resources from Mac OS X, in order to reclaim several hundred megabytes of disk space. It requires at least Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and also works on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

Grab a free copy here

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/index.php :P

This is a much recomended app here on the forum. However if you are actually doing a clean install just don't install the languages to start with. I made the mistake of accidentally installing them on a re-install as it's easy to forget.

Just be sure not to uninstall the language that your OS is actually using, and its probably a good idea not to go to the Architecture tab.

This is a great app. I've used it many a time when trying to get an image size small enough to run Tiger on an older iMac like a flavored tray-load. It does save lots of space. Another space-saving tip is to delete items from the /Library/Receipts folder.

One warning though, make sure you run Monolingual first before installing an app that teaches you languages - for obvious reasons. I learned this the hard way when I ran it AFTER I had installed BYKI. (Before You Know It) It's a flash card app that teaches you how to speak different languages that you install based on which languages you want to learn. I had to reinstall it after I ran Monolingual which was fine but only after much head scratching as to why the app wasn't working. Duh!

I haven't checked in a while, but when you roll your mouse over I think it might say Canadian English, does it still say 'eh' in a little pop up? I thought that was a funny little EasterEgg, eh.

Monolingual is indeed very cool, I do however give one warning to you if you play world of warcraft on your mac. Back up your wow installation BEFORE running multilingual. It will kill your wow installation, forcing a full re-install and patch if you don't have a backup.