Sign in to follow this  
joenspa

Recieving calls while on Edge

Somewhere I read of a problem where you couldn't receive a call while using the Edge network. I don't have an iPhone yet but am planning on it soon so I went by my AT&T store to check it out. One of the sales guys told me, no this wasn't true, but did offer a test. I started loading yahoo.com and he called the phone. It went straight to voice mail. He tried it again and I got the call. What we found out, at least today and at this location was, while the phone is loading a page it can't receive a call. Once it's loaded you're fine but during that download process it seems to send you to voicemail.

I would be willing to bet this is an AT&T / network issue and not an iPhone issue. Any of you folks with those other expensive phones might be able to verify it though.

not sure if its iphone or the network either, but when you hear this you say, "oh good, once the page is loaded i'm fine." the problem is that it takes at least a minute for a page to load usually, and i dont know about you, but i'm always clicking on new pages and jumping around. hence, "surfing" the web. but anyway. its not a big deal. two reasons: 1) voicemail shows up almost instantly anyway so you can call them back. 2) i always say if someone really needs to reach you, they'll call back.

the problem is that it takes at least a minute for a page to load usually

The Edge network from this store wasn't to bad but it's definitely slower.

Also I found this right in the iPhone manual that i downloaded.

While on a call, press the Home button to go to the Home

screen and use other applications. Or tap Contacts to browse

contacts.

So for example, you can check your calendar or takes notes

while on a call. If you’re connected to Wi-Fi , you can also

browse the web and use other Internet applications such as

Maps—to find the location of a restaurant, perhaps.

By specifying WiFi they seem to be backing this.

There are apparently two types of Edge networks. If you are on one type, the Edge transfer will be interrupted and the call will go through. On the other type, the transfers cannot be preempted and the call will go to voicemail. If you need the phone set to auto-check mail every 15 minutes, it could become a problem.