Docproc

Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection stopped working?

Hi

My wife uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection client to connect from home to a Windows machine at her workplace. It works very well, or rather it did until a couple of days ago when it just stopped working.

The error it gives now is

"The client could not connect to the remote computer. Either remote connections are not enabled, the computer is too busy to accept new connections, or network problems are preventing the connection. Try connecting again later or contact your administrator."

I've not changed anything about my home network configuration. I've also tried it from my office and that gives the same error.

The only thing I can think of that's changed recently is that I applied the latest Apple security update (2007-007) which may have changed some networking configuration.

Has anyone else seen this, or problems with this update?

Regards

Glenn.

That error usually indicates something wrong on the server side.

Could be caused by either

A. Remote Desktop not enabled on that machine, maybe it was accidently unchecked?

B. Firewall blocking incoming remote desktop connections, maybe a new firewall was installed, or updates applied that altered the exception configuration or something.

C. remote desktop on that machine got changed to another port, not very likely to have accidently happened since it involves registry modifications.

Edited by ithonicfury

Hi

My wife uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection client to connect from home to a Windows machine at her workplace. It works very well, or rather it did until a couple of days ago when it just stopped working.

The error it gives now is

"The client could not connect to the remote computer. Either remote connections are not enabled, the computer is too busy to accept new connections, or network problems are preventing the connection. Try connecting again later or contact your administrator."

I've not changed anything about my home network configuration. I've also tried it from my office and that gives the same error.

The only thing I can think of that's changed recently is that I applied the latest Apple security update (2007-007) which may have changed some networking configuration.

Has anyone else seen this, or problems with this update?

Regards

Glenn.

There's always the chance that the firewall settings on the remote machine (or the network's firewall settings) may have changed. You can have here reset the firewall settings on her Windows machine at the office and see if it will re-request her permission to unblock/allow the program open access and create the port opening.

If your wife is computer savvy have her look into RealVNC or UltraVNC. VNC works great (but only the professional uses a heavy encryption). It works great with Apple Remote Desktop and is MUCH smoother and quicker than Microsoft Remote Desktop. FYI, this requires open use of the 5800 and 5900 ports using TCP/UDP connection in your router being forwarded on her machine at work.

Just a couple quick notes about VNC.

If you want to encrypt it, UltraVNC will let you do that rather easilly (once you know how anyway).

In my experience, VNC has been quite a bit slower then RDP, even with UltraVNCs video driver (which can cause problems in some cases).

And Port 5800 doesn't need to be forwarded unless you want use the java based HTTP client to connect (which is quite abit slower and missing features).